Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Stalling at Idle

Hey guys, just bought an 02 SS yesterday after about a year of drooling over them. It has 81,000 miles and is an A4. It has a TSP 228R cam, TSP 7.400 pushrods, TSP offroad y-pipe, TSP longtube headers, 3600 stall. The car was built and tuned by Performance Auto in Richmond, VA. Before I bought the car I experienced a single "stalling at idle" incident when pulling up to a light at running temperature. When I came home, I searched online to see what kind of problems I would be looking at if/when I bought it. I found threads bringing up the MAF, IAT, etc etc. I fell in love with the car as soon as I saw it and sat in it, and figured all that matters in the end is that the car matches exactly what I was looking for. I have no regrets but would like to get this one hiccup out of the way. The car only dies on me occasionally. It's always at idle, usually (75% of the time that it happens) when stopping the car while backing up to put it in drive. It idles consistently at 1k RPM while sitting still. The car runs amazing and shifts firm and accurately everytime when I put my foot in it, it's just the occasional "lope, lobe, stall" when idling. Am I wrong to think this is not necessarily a serious problem? The dealer I bought it from seemed to not know much about LS1's and didn't seem capable of flashing the car back to stock specs so I don't think the tune is off or gone. Anybody have any experience with this that found a sure (or close to it) solution?
    Thanks in advance, and glad to say I'm finally an 02 SS owner!

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Moving this to the general help section

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Levey View Post
    Hey guys, just bought an 02 SS yesterday after about a year of drooling over them. It has 81,000 miles and is an A4. It has a TSP 228R cam, TSP 7.400 pushrods, TSP offroad y-pipe, TSP longtube headers, 3600 stall. The car was built and tuned by Performance Auto in Richmond, VA. Before I bought the car I experienced a single "stalling at idle" incident when pulling up to a light at running temperature. When I came home, I searched online to see what kind of problems I would be looking at if/when I bought it. I found threads bringing up the MAF, IAT, etc etc. I fell in love with the car as soon as I saw it and sat in it, and figured all that matters in the end is that the car matches exactly what I was looking for. I have no regrets but would like to get this one hiccup out of the way. The car only dies on me occasionally. It's always at idle, usually (75% of the time that it happens) when stopping the car while backing up to put it in drive. It idles consistently at 1k RPM while sitting still. The car runs amazing and shifts firm and accurately everytime when I put my foot in it, it's just the occasional "lope, lobe, stall" when idling. Am I wrong to think this is not necessarily a serious problem? The dealer I bought it from seemed to not know much about LS1's and didn't seem capable of flashing the car back to stock specs so I don't think the tune is off or gone. Anybody have any experience with this that found a sure (or close to it) solution?
    Thanks in advance, and glad to say I'm finally an 02 SS owner!

You called the shopthe other day, we can't help if you don't let us.... Jimmy told you that it sounds like one of the dealerships flashed the car back to stock (it was traded in to GM according to Adam, the car's previous owner). He also told you that you needed to get it by so that we could see if our tune was still on the car and if not, flash it back. I don't think anyone on the internet will be able to help you any better than that.

The car was put together and tuned here, it left without issue and was driven for 9-10 months daily before he traded it, so it can't be anything major.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Just get it by; I'll pull the file and make sure that it's still there.

Red, Black
    1972 RS/SS, 2002 SS

Hey guys, I was confused by the 2 different business names and didn't realize everything until after posting this. I know the car was put together well. I was under the impression that frost was different from who I spoke to the other day. I appreciate you guys intercepting me on here and will call over there soon!

Thread Information