Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sputtering...

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Sputtering...

Since my header install, the car has been running like shit after a couple WOT runs. It will run fine if i keep it below 3500 or so, but as soon as i open it up and let it decel to a stop, it will run aweful. Sometimes to the point that i have to stop and shut it off. I put pacesetter longtubes on, without EGR or AIR. Ive swapped out spark plugs to eliminate that as the cause. Im guessing now that its the rear O2 sensors causing the problem (there was immediately an SES light, as expected).

My question is, would it be more logical/economical to buy an SLP custom tune for 250, or bend over and spend 500 on a diablo predator? I have a stall, shift kit, and cooler, and the only other mod i have in mind is a set of 3.90s. Can you output to a laptop from the predator or do you need to get a more advanced handheld...

If anyone has a suggestion to what else might be causing the sputtering, im open to that as well... Thanks

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Is there any raw fuel smell?

I know if you shop around you can get Predators for around 200. I bought one specificly beucase im getting headers and all that jaz very soon.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

its always smelled like gas, even when i was running open headers with the stock manifolds (all 02 sensors in place). There have been some on ebay ive been keepin my eye on, also some Superchips tuners as well.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I think your loading up.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

in my opinion if youre going to tune anything do it right with hp tuners. i just dont trust any of the hand held programmers but that is a personal quip of mine.

i would get 02 sims for the rear and see what that does, this way you will know if those are faulty and by getting the 02 sims you wont have to worry later on down the road.

have someone like auto zone scan the obd and let you know exactly whats going on. it sounds like a faulty 02 making you run rich if you can smell the gas more so than usual. headers do stink however but you say it runs badly so these are my guesses.

by the way i got those tires mounted and they look great! too scared to dump the clutch and watch the rear shatter. thanks again man!

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    in my opinion if youre going to tune anything do it right with hp tuners. i just dont trust any of the hand held programmers but that is a personal quip of mine.

i would get 02 sims for the rear and see what that does, this way you will know if those are faulty and by getting the 02 sims you wont have to worry later on down the road.

have someone like auto zone scan the obd and let you know exactly whats going on. it sounds like a faulty 02 making you run rich if you can smell the gas more so than usual. headers do stink however but you say it runs badly so these are my guesses.

by the way i got those tires mounted and they look great! too scared to dump the clutch and watch the rear shatter. thanks again man!
    Lol no problem bout the tires, glad you like em! As for the tuner, ive used superchips twice on my mustangs without a complaint, they really opened the car up. Superchips is cheaper anyway, and does the same job. Im going to do like you said and take it to autozone first, see what codes im throwing. Then ill go from there.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    Lol no problem bout the tires, glad you like em! As for the tuner, ive used superchips twice on my mustangs without a complaint, they really opened the car up. Superchips is cheaper anyway, and does the same job. Im going to do like you said and take it to autozone first, see what codes im throwing. Then ill go from there.
    do that for sure. i have had a few friends do the superchips on the ls1 and it just didnt respond well to it at all. infact one guy i know had a SOM ss a few years back and it went so haywire from the chip the dealership voided his warranty. maybe mustangs are a different story though. this is just my opinion.

it really sucks when you have new parts and you cant realize their full potential. sorry bro.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Well i knew it was going to run out of its potential, but i didnt think it would start sputter and running like shit lol. Ah well though, gives me a reason to go out and buy a tuner. I looked into getting a tune from SLP and they lock your PCM, and i cant have that. So tuner it is.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    Well i knew it was going to run out of its potential, but i didnt think it would start sputter and running like shit lol. Ah well though, gives me a reason to go out and buy a tuner. I looked into getting a tune from SLP and they lock your PCM, and i cant have that. So tuner it is.
    stay far away from SLP. please.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Well it didnt seem like a bad idea at first until i looked into tuners. Now i cant imagine why anyone with basic bolt-ons would ever get a tune from SLP...so expensive.

Silver
    2002 Z28

You need record a log while this is happening. It will let you know exactly what is going on. My guess is that you are going very rich during decel. Find someone with HPTuners or EFILive in your area and record a log. It's the only way to know what's really going on.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

I asked around at the track last weekend, very few ppl have LS1s, and even fewer have tuners or scanners. Ina minute im running it up to autozone to have them scan it.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Alright it threw 4 codes.

P0102 MAF or VAF: Circuit low input
    P0140 02 Sensor: CKT No Activity
    P0155 02 Sensor Heater: Circuit Malfunction
    P0160 02 Sensor: CKT No activity

The 2 no activities i got, but whats with the other 2?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Did you blow a fuse? I seem to remember something like that happening to me when I shorted an O2 wire against my exhaust. I threw a few codes like that. Check the fuses under the hood. I cannot remember which one it was.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

It may be. Before i had the headers installed, they told me an 02 sensor had broken off and was dragging. Its shot. Luckily it was a rear 02 sensor, and i knew i could delete it later on. But it may have touched some metal while on the ground or something. Hmm...ill check that out while its in surgery this weekend. Thanks for the idea JT

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

For the P0102 check the engine sensor fuse under the hood...I think it's yellow Check the MAF's wiring harness and the MAF itself...it could bad or just dirty. Unmetered air can throw that code too.

For the p0155 i'd look for a exhaust leak on the passenger side
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 06-23-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added P0155 info

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

I got the diablosport in and deleted the codes, and replaced the fuse to get rid of the MAF code. Now its throwing a P0300 misfire code, but doesnt say what cylinder... It still runs like shit, at all times, not just after a WOT. Spark plugs are brand new, not even 500 miles on them. Ive messed with the different things in the diablo and nothing seems to help it. Any ideas?

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Messed with it a little more, now it will run fine sometimes, sometimes it will sputter anything below 1900ish RPM for a while then suddenly drive perfect, and sometimes it will just flat out run like shit, through all RPMs, the entire drive. Im seriously at a loss...All because i decided to put longtubes on...

Red
    2000 Trans Am

sounds like you have a lose wire/connection somewhere. Causing one of the sensors to not read right at certain times.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Wouldn't it throw a code that one isn't reading right? All i have is the P0300 at certain times and P0171 at certain times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information