Thread: Sharing tunes

Artic White
    2000 SS Camaro

Sharing tunes

I recently had a 383 stroker assembly installed with a 230/230 cam with 0.60 lift on intake and exhaust (at 0.050) and need to update my VE, Timing, Idle and MAF tables. I have the Pro-M Racing MAF, long tube headers, LS6 intake, Patriot Stage 2 heads, etc. Are there any members on here that will share their entries in tuning tables? I still use LS1Edit, have not upgraded to HP Tuners yet, however I nevertheless could benefit from what others have found work in the various tables for a stroker. Before this I had the Z06 torquer cam KTech sells and had the tune dialed in perfectly. One thing I added which I'm going to remove is the MSD coils; I am starting to suspect that the more your car is modified the more they hurt performance. I believe these coils just do not provide optimal spark timing and evidently must reduce cylinder pressure. Another thing I'm concerned about is that the Comp anti-pump up hydraulic lifters make more noise than the less expensive lifters and this leads me to believe I may need to copy my high octane timing into my low octane timing table unless I am able to confirm by logging that no knock retard is present. I have found Drew Technologies DashDAQ very helpful to monitor PCM readings while driving real time. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sscamaro2000; 01-25-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: fine tune

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

There are multiple problems with trying to use even part of someone else's tune. The explanation would be long and would leave those without proper understanding to still think that it's not only an OK thing to do, but that it may be helpful. As a base response, there are hundreds of OS's for these cars. For someone else's airflow tables to even approach being relevant to you, they need to have the same year and OS on their PCM, same displacement, similar cam, exact same injectors, same MAF and same MAF layout, same trans type (goes back to OS and other base airflow differences), etc.

It's much less work to actually just tune the car than it is to look back and forth and guess what might or might not work. Dive in and tune. If you get stuck, bring the log/tune back here and post up some details and your issue; someone will help.

Best of luck.

I'm not sure anyone here still uses LS1 Edit,,,and the ones that did have switched to Hptuner as far as I know.

You are probably better off talking to Frost or a few of the other very knowledgable tuners here.

As far as the knock issue, if you have it, you would first have to determine if that is false knock or not. After that, you can decide whether you need to desensitize your knock tables or not.

Give some of the others a chance to chime in, I'm sure they will have answers for you.

Edit: Well there ya go,,,,Frost got in there before I was done typing,,,lol.

Artic White
    2000 SS Camaro

Frost,
    I have done a lot of trial and error tuning with LS1Edit, which is indeed prehistoric and very limited in capability, and I will have to replace it with HP tuners if I decide to keep the car. My primary problem is I do not have a wideband oxygen sensor so everything is trial and error and seat of the pants feel.

If I provide you all the specifics of my hardware do you think one of your mail order tunes would work fairly well until I can find someone with a dyno within driving distance of NW AR? If so, would I need to buy HP tuners to use your mail order tune?

The MAF table worked fine before stroking, and a flat PE vs RPM of 1.1 made the car perform optimal. It is obvious I have to increase the MAF transfer function at higher RPMs to avoid going lean because the fuel trims logged showed that fuel was being added in this range. +10 LTFT However, should this be a flat increase across the entire MAF range, or graduated increase with increasing RPM?

I had the timing advance dialed in quite well before stroking, however I increased compression ratio from 10.5 to 11.0 when rebuilding to 383 CU and not sure if coils or higher compression ratio is requiring these to be changed now.

Shouldn't the VE table for a stroked engine with open flowing intake, heads and exhaust be fairly similar for engines with these modifications?

What is your experience with the double-spark MSD coils; I really think they hurt my performance when I put them on even before stroking the engine.

Based on your reputation on this website I would trust your advice and your tunes. I just live to far away to take advantage of your dyno tune.

Jim Linder
    Jim_Linder@sbcglobal.net
    Last edited by sscamaro2000; 01-27-2011 at 04:15 AM.

navy blue
    1999 corvette coupe

Hello, does LS1edit let you open up 2 files and compare them or see the differences? I haven't played with LS1edit but with HPtuners you can open up someone's tune that has mods close to yours and see the differences or compare them to yours.

Artic White
    2000 Camaro

LS1 Edit is an antique. I have used it for years and yes you can compare files but it is not at all convenient to work with. HP tuners is the best tuning suite on the market. You would be taking 100 steps backwards to bother with LS1 Edit.
    Last edited by 383StrokerLS1; 02-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Thread Information