Red
    1998 trans Am

SES light, no codes present

Having a bad time with my '98 WS6. Was throwing code 0135 for bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor, replaced both front sensors, cleared the code with scan tool. Still getting a flashing SES. Scanner says no codes (or pending codes) detected. No mis-fires detected with scanner either. Flashing SES comes on from 25-55 MPH, also goes out at 30-25 MPH when slowing back down, never comes on in park at idle. Car has back 02 sensors deleted, long tube headers. TP sensor checks out fine. Professionally built with stage 2 heads/cam/ls6 intake back in 2001, low mile, dry weather only car. Can someone shed some light on my condition?
    Last edited by RAMAIR_LS1; 10-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

when the SES Light flashes it means its detecting a misfire, check your plug boots, one of them might be loose.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SVG210 View Post
    when the SES Light flashes it means its detecting a misfire, check your plug boots, one of them might be loose.
    Used to think the same thing.

blinking (S.E.S) light is a catalyst damage indicator not a misfire light . a class 3 (sever)misfire will cause this because of unburned fuel going through the cat's. but other things can also cause this (defective ect sensor )

FROST agrees with the above.

Red
    1998 trans Am

I've been searching for several hours...plugs fine, can't find a loose connection or hear a misfire at any RPM.No burnt wiring. Has never been over-revved. It just started doing this when I was less than a mile from home on a short drive. Weather was (and is) around 30 degrees, factory baffles are removed from hood also. Car runs great, as it always did...light kicks off in neutral and/or drive as the car slows to 30-25 MPH. Forgot to mention no cats on the car. MAF is spotless, but I cleaned it as well last night.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you only get it at cruise, it could easily be false reporting from the camshaft.

What did you do in the misfire section when you tuned your car? Those thresholds are likely too low.

Red
    1998 trans Am

I didn't tune it myself, the car was dyno tuned by Agostinos after the modifications in 2001 and hasn't been touched since. I disconnected the battery last night, and just re-connected it, checked ECT incoming voltage at connector-4.99 volts. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information