c1823a

SES: Codes 1133 and 1153

Here's what happened. 6 or so months ago I installed O2 sims on the rears because of a "catalyst ineffiency" code. Dealership and GM would not allow free replacement of converters because I had a K&N air filter that I put in about a year ago. They say that the oil used in the filter will contaminate the catalyst. After a lot of arguing on the phone with GM I gave up on them. That's why I installed the sims. Everything was fine until I gutted the cats the other day. Now I'm getting the 1133 and 1153 codes. "Fuel/air metering error". Can anyone help with solving this problem???

thanks,
    Kyle

WS6BIRD
    I would have complained to gm that if the oil in the air filter damaged the converter the maf should have gone out first. It sounds like a easy way out for them. I used to work for a chevy dealership and would see k&n air filters all the time. and not once did it ever void a warranty. I have replaced a converter on WS6 with a filter,lid and other things and no problems replacing converter. the dealership does not have to call gm for warranty repairs. the should have fixed it free of charge. just my 2 cents.

c1823a
    I agree. When I called GM, they read out a list of items that will void their warranty. An aftermarket, oiled air filter, was one of the items on their list. They could have made it up while I was on the phone with them. Who knows. What I do know is that I had a bad cat and GM would not authorize a replacement under warranty.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Go to a different dealer and put a paper filter in

1133 and 1153 are banks 1 and 2, sensor 1 (precat) 02 insufficient switching codes. Not sure if gutting the cats caused them, but sounds like it could have. Here's a couple possibilities out of the manual:

"When 1133 & 1153 are set at the same time, it is a good indication that a fuel contamination condition is present."

"An exhaust leak 6-12 inches away from the H02S..."

"Certain RTV silicone gasket materials give off vapors..."

"...advise customer to try different gas company."

Don't know if this helps - just a couple ideas, of course they're assuming stock cats. I'd resolve the issue soon though since it's both front 02's.

c1823a
    Thanks for the reply. I've been reading on another site that this has happened to a few people after gutting cats or installing long tube headers. Some were able to fix it with Vette, rear 02's. It's said they run at a higher wattage and will allow the sensor to heat up properly. May have to try it.

NH Camaro Z28
    Actually, we've been having similar issues under a thread created by DiPeRRi 99 under SES problem. I have a code scanner and posted some freeze frame information. It seems as though we're all having the same issue.

c1823a
    Update: Swapped my rear O2's with the front O2's and has been working for 3 days now. SES light went out by itself and hasn't turned back on "yet". I guess it's possible that both front O2's went out at the same time after gutting the cats, but I don't know about that. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Hey NH Camaro, have any of you tried the Vette "rear" O2's in the pre cat position??? I was told the Vette O2's run at a slighlty higher wattage and the leads are much longer. Good for Long tubes with no extension lead. Don't know if any of this is true, just what I read on another board.

later,
    Kyle

NH Camaro Z28
    I've never tried the swap. I did find out from one of my technicians that the ground for the O2 sensors are through the threads themselves; therefore, if the threads aren't clean in the bung or the sensors, the light may come on. Hard saying not knowing.

c1823a
    Update: So far, NO SES light. May need to give it some more time.

black
    2001 trans am ws6

im having the same problem i gutted my cats and about 2 days later my ses light came on the code that came up is p0161 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 2 sensor 2 do u think the vette rear o2's will make the ses light go off or any other suggestions
    Last edited by bigtyme; 03-19-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Thread Information