Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Scanner vs tuner software

Hi, folks. I'm pretty new to LS1s, and I'm already confused with the tuner/scanner choices out there. I've read the "Handhelds, software packages...so u dont ask again" post, but I have other concerns.

History: Bought an 01 WS6 a couple of weeks ago, SES light has come on since then. Code is P0440, but tightening the gas cap didn't fix it. Would like to avoid renting a scanner from AutoZone every weekend while troubleshooting this.

Are my only choices to go with 1) a relatively cheap handheld scanner that only pulls codes, 2) cheap OBDII adapter + software for reading sensors/codes via PC, or 3) expensive adapter + software for pulling codes and full ECM editing?

1 and 2 seem to be in the low $100 range, but out of the two I think 2 is better, due to being able to read the sensors as well as the DTCs. I'd ideally like some sort of middleground between 2 and 3, however, if such a thing exists.

I'm planning on keeping the car long term, but I don't plan to mod it for at least the next year or two. When I do eventually mod the car, it would be nice to know that I didn't waste my money on a $100 scanner, only to get a $400 scanner/editing package a little while later.

Is there something along the lines of LS1Edit/HPTUNERS/etc without the huge price tag? Or if I go with choice #2 and get, for example, ScanTool.net's ElmScan 5 Scan Tool, might it be usable with editing software that I get later? Is there any more do-it-yourself solution that brings the costs down considerably?

Thanks for helping clear up the confusion!

The cheapest code reader I'm aware of is from harborfreight - $49.99? All it does is read/clear codes though. After you decide on what tuning package you want later on you can just sell it/keep it in the glove compartment.

Just checked, on sale for $39.99 - sending you a link if you want to check it out.

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

That's a nice price. I'll prob just go with that, unless someone else suggests something better. I assume you're going to PM or email the link?

Thanks

Yeah, trying to PM you the link again, having trouble for some rerason. <----Edit: probably my fat fingers/poor spelling - works now.
    Last edited by 2001NBMZ28; 05-03-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAMrit
    ... Is there something along the lines of LS1Edit/HPTUNERS/etc without the huge price tag? ...
    "Huge" price tag? I guess it's all relative. To me, the price for HP Tuners is very reasonable, considering all it can do. But if you just want to read and clear DTCs, it would be hard to beat the $39.99 deal.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I am looking for something to read the O2 sensor, timing and Knock retard.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Sorry, and turn off CAGS. What should I get.
    Also, any ideas on what would boost my fuel during NOS use only? Tuning or hardware?

Pewter
    2001 Z 28

There is a guy on ebay that will tune your computer how ever you want it for around 50.00 or he will send you a computer for 100.00 programed and ready to go and then he will buy your old computer for 40.00 from you so basicly the same thing your car just does not have to be parked while you wait.
    You Snooze You Looze!!

Thread Information