Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Question Scan tool or car problem?

I use an AutoXray EZLink. I just changed plug wires and was doing some routine monitoring while driving to check for misfires.

Odd thing, I periodically get "Total misfires" counts that are always divisible by 8 such as 512, 1024, 1536 while all 8 cylinder counts stays at 0.

It usually happens at or shortly after starting the engine and sometimes during the drive when I downshift.

So what is it counting as a misfire if it sees no misfires on any cylinder?
    Is my scan tool hosed up?

When I first changed the wires I took it for a spin around the block and it seemed fine. No misfire counts. When I started to bolt the shock tower brace back on I noticed that the #6 boot had come off the coil pack. I'm beginning to wonder if this tool can even read a misfire.

Anybody seen anything like this?

Thanks,
    John

I have an Auto X-ray EZ Scan 5000---I am having the similar results with the whole misfire monitor system as well---It just does weird stuff always and I finally just choose to ignore it---Don't get me wrong I love the tool and the rest of the tool is spot on and very handy to monitor AFR thru narrow band voltages--LTFT fueltrims--timing--knock retard--etc. etc.I have since purchased EFILIVE that has wonderful real-time data logging-but I still use the EZ Scan sometimes to erase codes as its way faster and on some older vehicles that EFILIVE does not support with their scan tool I use the EZ Scan
    to monitor data.I've checked the erroneous misfire counts with EZ Scan against the EFILIVE misfire system and it proves that the EZ Scan counts are false.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the reply. That is quite interesting.

My old EZLink is ancient compared to your EZ Scan 5000. I wonder why they have trouble reading misfire conditions.

It is a good tool and has paid for it self many times on both my car and my wife's. Still I think I need an upgrade.

Thanks again,
    John

Thread Information