Thread: Rev limiter

black
    2002 trans am

Rev limiter

is there a after market chip, beside's a handheld tuner that i could bump the rev limiter up to 6300 with..

my problem is that i barley tap the limiter..and i dont like it..it makes me want to get out of it..

also...what is the timing set at in these cars...as for a 02 t/a ls1

just some questions i have..
    thanks for any help

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

not that i'm aware of.

this is the stock timing table from my car. your might be slightly different.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2002 trans am

how in the hell do u read that..i got the rpm side..but how would i read the air mass....

im sure if i get it it would help
    thanks for posting..

Hey Mrr23,,,,are you sure that is the stock timing table for yours? Every stocker timing table I have seen including my own 02 LS1 has only had total timing in the upper rpms at around 19 degrees,,,,and you are showing 28 degrees on yours. I haven't seen a stock one yet that is that aggressive.

Only way to play with the rev limiter is with a tuner program I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Hey Mrr23,,,,are you sure that is the stock timing table for yours? Every stocker timing table I have seen including my own 02 LS1 has only had total timing in the upper rpms at around 19 degrees,,,,and you are showing 28 degrees on yours. I haven't seen a stock one yet that is that aggressive.
    yes, it is mine. look at the top left. 2000formulastock.

just looked at a 99 TA i pulled the stock file out of last night. exact same. i did see a 2002 file that was unusually low. the 99-00 cars seems to have more aggressive timing. i can email you the 99 file so you can review it yourself.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    yes, it is mine. look at the top left. 2000formulastock.

just looked at a 99 TA i pulled the stock file out of last night. exact same. i did see a 2002 file that was unusually low. the 99-00 cars seems to have more aggressive timing. i can email you the 99 file so you can review it yourself.
    You're right; the 99-00 have the most aggressive tables. The 02s look like dry nitrous tables at first Get the huge valley out of the 99 table and it makes a good starting point for things.

black
    2002 trans am

do u guys know what the timing is at for 02's if you have looked at the sheet or can....
    ls1..t/a

thanks for help

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by ls1speedster View Post
    do u guys know what the timing is at for 02's if you have looked at the sheet or can....
    ls1..t/a

thanks for help
    there's no specific timing. it varies with driving conditions.

Thanks Mrr23,,,,that is definately much more aggressive than my stock tables,,,,as much at 10 degrees in most places.
    Mine has total timing in the high G/cyl areas at only 19 degrees maximum. I currently run 24 degrees in those areas and it seems to be the most I can get away with and not encounter any knock.
    Makes me wonder how stock 98-00 cars are getting away with 28 degrees in those areas.
    I would post my stock table here just for giggles but haven't figured how to do that yet.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you have to do a screenshot of your timing table. then save it on your computer. then click the manage attachments when you reply to a post. then, upload the pic.

my guess for us lucky enough to run more timing might be because of having EGR. cam differences would be another.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Why not just re-gear the rear end to get more umph. Is there even any power that high in the revs?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

my guess for us lucky enough to run more timing might be because of having EGR. cam differences would be another.
    I'd guess it's WOT AFR; I've tuned 12:1 SCR LS1s on pump that run more than 24deg on the street with no KR.

Yep. Huge difference between the early year cars and later years. Could be taking the EGR delete into account. Thats the only thing i can think of.

my guess for us lucky enough to run more timing might be because of having EGR.
    Thats my theory.

Ya the EGR keeps the combustion temps down just a bit, and since it was no longer on the 01-02 cars that could account for the low timing tables that GM put in there.
    The smallish truck cam GM started installing in 01 and 02 would also have alot to do with it,,,since it has less overlap it builds more cylinder pressure which makes the car more sensitive to timing as well.
    I've got a pretty good handle on the fuel so I don't think that is an issue really. I believe once I stick a little more cam in this thing with more overlap I will have to completely go through the timing table again, and should be able to throw some more at it. Cheers, Larry.

Thread Information