Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resetting OBDII

Resetting OBDII

02' transam, if the battery is disconnected for some time will the codes be cleared?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yes some of them. If the code comes back it will light up right away. Which code is it?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

In my case when i switch from my DS Predator Performance tune back to the stock tune (for emissions test)or visa versa The obdII will reset the emissions monitors. Some are continious some non-continious monitors.Ive never had a it throw any codes though. There is a specific driving pattern per make and model to reset them found on the net @ GM related sites. I have a hand held device that plugs into the obd port that tells me which monitors are set or not. As long as your not going in for an emissions teat you should be ok and the monitors will reset themselves in time.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

OOPPs! Sorry guys i didnt read your question right... Oh so i guess your throwing codes now and want to know if disconnecting the battery will clear them?...Yes it will but depending on the codes they may just pop back up again. I had one pop back after only 12 miles of driving.arggghh!!Like JayTA98 says. To me its best to invest in a code reader and try to correct the problem if possible This way youll always have a reliable way of reading and erasing trouble codes, I bought one for 57 dollars.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Post your codes.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

codes

171 & 174, lean banks 1 & 2. I cleaned the MAF and tried to find the PCV to see if its leaking around the connection but I think its missing. I was told it should be near the front of the engine.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    OOPPs! Sorry guys i didnt read your question right... Oh so i guess your throwing codes now and want to know if disconnecting the battery will clear them?...Yes it will but depending on the codes they may just pop back up again. I had one pop back after only 12 miles of driving.arggghh!!Like JayTA98 says. To me its best to invest in a code reader and try to correct the problem if possible This way youll always have a reliable way of reading and erasing trouble codes, I bought one for 57 dollars.
    You bring up a good point. Anyone recommend a reliable & inexpensive reader? I'm wearing my welcome out at my local performance garage.
    Thank you.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    171 & 174, lean banks 1 & 2. I cleaned the MAF and tried to find the PCV to see if its leaking around the connection but I think its missing. I was told it should be near the front of the engine.

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Is this your vehicle? It sure looks like is missing the valve but in an 2002 the PCV valve tubing is different. Is more like an U shaped and it goes down to the valley cover right underneath in that pic. Is the car completely stock? That setup looks more from the 98-99 were the valve is further back inline.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    You bring up a good point. Anyone recommend a reliable & inexpensive reader? I'm wearing my welcome out at my local performance garage.
    Thank you.
    i use the actron ones and i have been happy with them. I bought my 1st one from ebay for $40. I sold it last year and upgraded to another and I got it from a member for $120 if I remember correctly.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

A 2002 Trans Am should have the PCV system right up front near the passenger valve cover.

red
    2000 ta ws6

how long do you keep the battery disconnected to clear the codes.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    A 2002 Trans Am should have the PCV system right up front near the passenger valve cover.
    I have to agree with you on this one. I'm thinking of the U shaped hose but that's only when the LS6 valley cover has been equipped. The PCV valve should be right were that strap is. Did you check that tube all the way back? Is it a straight piece of tube all the way back? If it is then yes it has been deleted.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by myls1 View Post
    i will do at least 20 mins. Sometimes is less.

red
    2000 ta ws6

disconnected both cables?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i only disconnect the negative

PCV

The hose is straight and goes all the way back. I do see some metal elbows on the front of the covers but they are not PCV valves, just elbows for hose connections. I checked the rear 2 hose connections (nice and easy to get at NOT!!) and they look ok, no pcv. What would happen if you ran a car without one?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    i will do at least 20 mins. Sometimes is less.
    A quicker way to clearing the codes is removing the pcm/bat fuses for about 30 seconds and put them back in and the codes are cleared if you don't have a code reader that can clear codes.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Thank you.
    I bought (online) a * AutoLink (AL309) Professional obd-II code reader/scan tool for around $ 57.00 bucks! They do have one thats a little more advanced,that i wanted after but for what i needed it for and price its great! (so do your research for the one you want) Autel.us | Car & Vehicle Diagnostic equipment | Engine ODB Software | MaxiDas DS780 or Amazon search. or I have a DiabloSport Predator hand-held tuner/scan tool also. Although it has many power adders etc it cannot show emissions monitors!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

disconnected both cables?
    I remember reading something about turning your headlamps on etc? Before you do the dis-connect.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

10 or 15 minutes. I would get a cheap code reader so you do not have to keep resetting the radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information