White with Black Top
    1999/ Z28

Question Reset My Car PCM

How do I reset my computer in my car

99Z28/M6

I know there are 2 Fuses you pull for a certain time.

I just need to know the procedure.

Thanks in advance

Bruce
    Last edited by StoreKeeper99Z28; 06-21-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Turn key on, don't start car
    Pull PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses in eng compartment
    Wait 5-10 min
    Turn ignition off
    Replace fuses

Idle will be a little grumpy until it relearns - also resets the readiness tests.

red
    1998 trans am

could this procedure possibly turn off the security light? Ive already done the vats bypass...car starts,runs fine...but that light!
    would replacing the body control module turn off this light??
    1998 trans am, 6speed

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If you replace the BCM you'll need to have it programmed to the key also, thus making the VATS bypass not necessary.
    Not sure why the light is still on if the VATs after the bypassed.

red
    1998 trans am

new bcm will be here Friday...it will learn the code from my old Keys (or the vats bypass) with the first start cycle. im hoping the security light will then go away!

Junior Member LHanded Lead Foot's Avatar

Metallic Brown
    1967 C10

The 1998 "F" body uses "Pass-Key 2". The resistor pellet in the key is one of 15 different values. The key switch has two contacts and small wires that connect to the harness at the bottom of the column. Without using a DMM and your key in the ignition to test the wires from the switch for some consistent resistance value, is the first place to start. Replacing the BCM and having it reprogrammed to the "VIN", may not solve your security light issue. The most common failure is the ignition switch contacts & wires broken inside the steering column.
    The process of deleting "VAT"S is done in the PCM. The BCM provides B+ for the security LED light. Don't waste your money just yet.

Start with best practices as 99 or 100 security light problems are found in the column wires broken or the switch contacts that can be broken or dirty. A resistance check is the only way to know if the wires and contacts are good to go. An improper voltage drop into the BCM from the Pass-Key II systems, causes the loss of PWM signal to the PCM to disable fuel and start operation. The BCM supplies the ignition switch contact with a regulated 5 volt signal to correctly produce the same voltage drop across the keys resistor pellet each time it is used.

Did you know your vehicle (UA6) has a shock sensor inside, on top of the drivers side wheel house. It detects movement from two directions and provides direct input to the BCM also that controls the security lamp also?

As a retired ASE Master Tech, mostly dealerships, I hate to see people throw good money away on a BCM you don't need, nor programmed at the dealer or a shop that has access to program the BCM via ACDelcoTIS2WEB software.

red
    1998 trans am

new bcm installed...light went out...all good..thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

How much the bcm set up back?

red
    1998 trans am

$240 minus 4o back core charge so $200

Junior Member LHanded Lead Foot's Avatar

Metallic Brown
    1967 C10

How much to get it programed to VIN? Did you find a local shop with the capabilities or go to the dealer? Maybe a buddy that did it for you? Just curious, as a good friend I worked with at a dealer for 10 years still works at a dealer, but now works only on Cadillac's.
    The BCM can be programmed on the bench without the vehicle using a J2534 vehicle interface module or VIM, but is best done at one time to go thru the Pass-Key re-learn. Just wanted to know. Thanks for sharing.

The vehicle is equipped with "Customization". Meaning you can change features of the theft deterrent systems actions. For example; horns chirp, arm and deny times set to your preference by a simple procedure.
    To place the BCM into program mode for personalization, turn ignition on, turn ignition off, remove the Radio fuse #17, turn the ignition to "ACC" position & chime will sound to verify system is in re-learn mode.
    *When chime sounds once, exit lighting, delay illumination, last door closed locking and unlocking can be customized.
    *When chime sounds twice and the vehicle is equipped with universal theft deterrent, remote lock verification, arming method, arming method, arming verification, driver's door lock delay and shock sensor can be enabled or disabled can be change.

You have up to 4 different modes, indicates be chimes to change set your preferences, including exit lighting time, door closed locking / lockout prevention, remote keyless verification that includes horns and park light flashing, driver lock delay, shock sensor enable/disable or interior / exterior lamps illuminate for up to 25 seconds / time shortened / or disabled.

This is referred to personalization. Your 1999 "F" body BCM has up to 4 different choices in each function with RKE and vehicle theft (UTD), depending on your preferences.

You can change these features with simple actions if you want. Let me know if you want more info.

I prefer my system to chirp the horns and flash the lights when locking or unlocking the vehicle using my keyless remote. Also, the "Lockout feature is nice. If you shut of the vehicle, leave the key in, push the lock button, it will warn you with a chime. If you shut the door, it will unlock after a few seconds, even if the other door is shut afterwards. You can't lock the keys in the car. Park lights can stay on for up to 8 seconds, when locking with RKE and exiting the vehicle.

It is many futures most people don't know about, that thousand of line of code are built into the BCM and can be change by the owner at home if desired.

red
    1998 trans am

wow thats a lot of great info....I just installed the bcm myself started the car and all was back to normal,i did have to reprogram the two key fobs for them to function.

Thread Information