White
    2000 Trans AM

Question about the Diablo tuner

I recently got my tuner and read the book however I'm not that great with it yet. My car has been running somewhat funny when I press the gas. At times its very hesitant and others it runs great. Just depends...
    Anyway I plugged in my handheld tuner car off turned the ignition on. I check the codes and this is what it read

P0101 Mass Airflow sensor/performance

Now Last I check my MAF had some oil on it and it kinda dirty but I left it completely alone as instructed when I changed my lid.

Should I get some MAF cleaner and spay it off?
    Or does that code mean change it out?

The car was off while I ran this check, I hope I've done it right.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jamessr; 09-11-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Well yes cleaning it would be the first thing to try. Electrical Parts Cleaner is what you want. I guess there is some product out there that is specifically for the MAF but check with your auto parts store for the right stuff. I have used the electrical parts cleaner with no ill effects.

If you do a Google search on DTC P0101 you will see that there are many things that can cause the MAF signal to be out of bounds. You can go down that list until you hit gold unless the cleaning is really the solution.

Yeah I'd try cleaning it first, can also be something simple like unmetered air, especially if it just started after changing the lid. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9070.php

White
    2000 Trans AM

*update*

WOW!!
    Thats all I could say like 10 minutes ago.
    I woke up this morning at 0830 and headed over to AutoZone, I bought something from CRC called MAF Sensor Cleaner. My MAF was dirty, when I sprayed it I could see the junk coming off, so I gave it a good cleaning. Popped it back in and started it up. Jeez the throttle responce was amazing.
    To be honest it was like drivin g a new car, no surging.. the responce was there when I tapped the gas. For the 1st time in a year I break the tires loose without even trying.

Anyway had some positive results and wanted to share.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    WOW!!
    Thats all I could say like 10 minutes ago.
    I woke up this morning at 0830 and headed over to AutoZone, I bought something from CRC called MAF Sensor Cleaner. My MAF was dirty, when I sprayed it I could see the junk coming off, so I gave it a good cleaning. Popped it back in and started it up. Jeez the throttle responce was amazing.
    To be honest it was like drivin g a new car, no surging.. the responce was there when I tapped the gas. For the 1st time in a year I break the tires loose without even trying.

Anyway had some positive results and wanted to share.
    Good to hear now my ? is why was it oily? Do you have a K&N filter or copy oil type element in it?
    If so then you have over oiled it.
    Second if your MAF was nasty I guarantee that your throttle body is too!
    You can take that same cleaner and clean the bore of the body and then hold it open with the linkage and clean the blade also.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 09-12-2007 at 02:38 PM.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

White
    2000 Trans AM

Yes I do have a K&N air filter. The problem only started shortly after I installed my lid, and slowly had gotten worse. I'm just amazed on what a difference its made. Also good advise on checking ther throttle body. its on my list of things to do this weekend.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

When you clean it and re oil it DON'T oil the whole pleat as most do.
    Only spray the middle stopping about 3/4" from the end of the pleat. The cotton will absorb the excess and be sucked out towards the edges.Then a few hours later you can touch up any places that are still "dry".
    One mistake most make is try to do this in a hurry and don't even let the filter completely dry after washing.
    OIL AND WATER DON'T MIX!! Get my drift.....Then they re install and as soon as air begins to pass it sucks the moisture coated with the oil through the MAF,lid,ducting,and the T/B.

Thread Information