Thread: programmers

black
    02 trans am ws6

programmers

are performance programmers worth the money ? if so witch one is the best

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

handhelds are gay and a waste of $, i dont no y every1 buy them. Save up and get HP Tuners, LS1 edit, EFI Live etc...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by txoutlaw69 View Post
    are performance programmers worth the money ? if so witch one is the best
    Usually they aren't worth it, but what is it you are wanting to do with one?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I purchased a HP3 a while ago. it worked for some small stuff. ON their web site they say the HP 3 is only for stock cars, one you go as far as headers you have outgrown their scanner. Diablo is supposed to do more stuff but Returned it and purchased HPTuners.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

depends on the handheld you buy.

the predator has one preprogrammed tune in it. good thing about it is you can have a custom tune done and upload it with the predator.

the vinci tuner has 8 preprogramed tunes in it based on cam and whether or not you have a supercharger.

both have the ability to modify the stock and preprogramed tunes. can also modify shift points, timing, power enrichment, and other things.

before running out and spending that 'little bit more' for a full tuning suite like hptuners, ls1edit, efilive, etc... you might want to do your homework on how that stuff owrks. yes, you can do way more with a full tuning suite, but there is a huge learning curve involved. take it from me. i used to have the vinci handheld and went to hptuners.

when you get your full tuning suite, there is nothing to tell you what to do where, how it affects everything, what other things are involved that affect what you are trying to accomplish, and support is very limited. you can call efilive and hptuners has a forum. but, getting answers can be frustrating.

and for all of those out there that are going to tell you to get a full tuning suite versus a handheld, they won't be there for you at all hours to answer your questions and help you through it. you need a good understanding of what things do, before you get into tuning. a handheld might be the better choice, for those not wanting to tackle a huge undertaking of self tuning.

and the costs really aren't just a 'little more'. for a full tuning suite, you need to have a laptop, or a really long cable from your home computer out to your car. so, $450.00 for a handheld, or $500.00 for a full tuning suite + a laptop, + some tuning classes that some offer at $550.00 a pop. your choice.
    Last edited by mrr23; 05-01-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

very well put mrr23. I agree.

For a guy like that isn't a computer whiz, I feel the Predetor is the best all around course.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

http://www/stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm here is how the vinci/crane tuner works

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I personally cannot coment on anything other than My Granatelli Diablosport tuner with RWTD (running with the devil) for my LS1 a4. The installed tune was SOTP good and then I get to play around (modify) any of the parameters.

The installed tune took out TM and and unleashed a different beast and then I can adjust tranny shift points and pressures and WOT fuel and spark parameters etc.

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

The only ones that really dont bennifit from the handhelds and are forced to go to a software based tune are the lonely 97-98 LS1 computers. 99 -02 have more handheld option then we do.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    The only ones that really dont bennifit from the handhelds and are forced to go to a software based tune are the lonely 97-98 LS1 computers. 99 -02 have more handheld option then we do.
    lucky for you wonderful 97-98 vehicles, vinci makes a handheld just for them.
    http://vincihighperformance.com/NEW%...TS%20PAGE.HTML bottom right of the page

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

PRICE $ 425.99 - WOW thata alot of $$$ - for a handheld... but like it said no special training required. (HP does take some time and lots of reading to get familiar with) Im still glad that I got HP tuners, now i can tune my firebird, Tahoe, and other stuff.

Thread Information