Thread: PCM Re-learn

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

PCM Re-learn

I just installed a set of LS6 ported heads, TSP 228/228 .588/.588 112 LSA, SLP LS6 intake, Pacesetter LT with ORY on my 2000 Trans Am WS6 A4. I pulled the PCM and sent it to PCMforless for the tune. I had Bryan remove my EGR and Air because I removed the systems. I also had him disable my two rear O2 sensors because I no longer need them with the LT's. My question is to anyone who has done a Heads and Cam swap. How long does it take for the PCM to learn all my MODS? I have only driven the car for about 5 miles after the swap. It has problems at idle and tries to shut off. It seems to run fine when I do 30-40 MPH but it tends to hesitate at idle. Should I drive the car 100-200 miles so the PCM can re-learn? I am also throwing a SES light. Could my knock sensors be throwing the SES light? Right now I am only running the LT with Y-pipe. I still need to get a muffler. Will the SES light go out after the PCM re-learns? Someone Please help?
    Last edited by WS6ICK; 03-10-2007 at 11:44 PM.

you need to tune it yourself before you f your motor up.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Yes ... I did the mail tunes for a while... Cant tune the car completely without the car... To me, it sounds like the fuel curve is to fat...Maybe...Find a buddy with the HP Tuner to fix you up !!! Good Luck !!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You need a better tune than a mail order tune. You need it dynotuned so some tweaking can be done on the idle, fuel maps, timing, etc. A mail order tune isn't going to cut it for a heads/cam package.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Good to go

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions. I have a BBK TB and it has an adjustment screw. I had to open up the Valve alittle more so it would idle right. Now it doesn't stall when I stop and it fires right up. I still need to drive the car more so the PCM can learn everything. I will be sure to get it on a dyno after a few hundred miles to get it fine tuned.

The only thing that is being learned are the short term and the long term fuel trims in closed loop--- this only takes no more than 50-100 miles--If you are throwing codes--typically learning will not erase them--codes have to be fixed or tuned out----with a .228 cam you'll have sevaral issues to be tuned--on mine I had to adjust--desired air flow--throttle cracker,throttle follower--MAF adjustment--VE logged and adjusted-- idle timing in P/N & timing in gear--Maximum timing allowed---to name a few off the top--

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Had same problem with my T/A. I have an SLP Cam 51011 with LS6 springs with an '06 GTO MAF and the thing started to surge and shut down. Used my programmer and checked fuel (power) enrichment and this sucker was way tooo fat on the long term trim at -24 average! Ol' 1320 confrimed my slow ass at 13.2@106.3! Stock I did a 13.3 at 106.7. Funny thing was that on my last 3 runs I went slower and slower! It kept bogging out in second and third gear! Cylinder misfire kept me from improvements,but in a nutshell, welcome to the world of frustration. Your just a good power tune away!!

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    you need to get a tune to make sure you a/f is spot on for most power and drivability issues!!!!

Thread Information