Thread: PCM to PCM

Red
    98 Trans Am

PCM to PCM

Looking to get a tune and with my location perdicament and my car being a daily driver,
    If i were to get a PCM that is the same as mine, a 98 LS1 A4 PCM, and have that tuned and sent to me and switch it out, would there be any problem or will it plug right in? This is a direct swap from a same year vehicle.
    Ive read somthing about CASE were after a full reflash the ECM may require CASE (crankshaft angle sensor error) and/or VATS (antitheft) relearn for proper operation in my vehicle. Wasnt sure whats up. I sent an Email to frost as well to get an anwser from him directly but i know hes busy so it might take awhile. Anyone ever do this?

Red
    2002 Z28

I sent him an email asking basically the same thing you just asked for my 02 Z28 and he told me as long as I send my VIN # then it would work because it would just be programmed to my VIN and should work fine.

Hope that helps.

Red
    98 Trans Am

SWEET! looks like im doing this then just need his approval of sending it directly to him from where im buying it from, and then have it sent to me afterward.

Red
    98 Trans Am

PCM should be going to frost someitme this week and then be on the way here. cant wait

Ray Charles blue

Mine is getting ordered next week.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Just to let you guys know, so as long as you contact frost and let him know what you want with the tune, he can do "drop orders" too. Thats having a company ship the PCM to him and then he ships it to you after the tune.

As form my car, got the PCM from him and installed it. Cars in learn mode now and i have to take it easy until i get the Stall installed, but the car is running good. the PCM got here in germany pretty fast. I can feel the tranny shift harder already at low speeds. cant wait to open it up on the autobahn

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Sounds like you are doing to have some fun this summer. Getting a tune is like getting a different car.

Red
    98 Trans Am

your telling me still trying to iron out the drivability.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Just to let you guys know, so as long as you contact frost and let him know what you want with the tune, he can do "drop orders" too. Thats having a company ship the PCM to him and then he ships it to you after the tune.

As form my car, got the PCM from him and installed it. Cars in learn mode now and i have to take it easy until i get the Stall installed, but the car is running good. the PCM got here in germany pretty fast. I can feel the tranny shift harder already at low speeds. cant wait to open it up on the autobahn
    Be careful here; if the calibration is setup for a stall and you have none, besides holding gears (annoying without the stall) and not locking up until late, it's going to shift very firmly. It's much too firm (at least for my taste) running that with no stall.

I keep many PCMs in stock (except for 98s).

Red
    98 Trans Am

No worrys, already installed the 3200 stall so i didnt drive on it too much. It really didnt like driving with the stock stall on a tuned PCM so I DONT recommend drving on it too long. Maybe as a temp between shops but dont stomp on it and nothing over 50mph of the car acts really funny to say the least.

Now my car is "relearning" the new stall and other stuff i installed. Its weird how the new stall and PCM are trying to learn. THe first time i tryed to go from 0 to about 35-40mph the car was doing this rev and hold pattern until it shifted and seemed reluctant to shift at first. It was also reving higher then i was used to. the idle is slowly going down during normal around town driving. highwaydrivings still rough. i its still trying to find itself lol

ALso, im noticing that when i shift to reverse my car has died once or twice. it did this before when i moved to the 80mm TB but i thought the new PCM would fix that but im wondering if i need to adjust the idle screw on it now. Also, does the hole on the stock TB and the lack of one on the 80mm TB do anything with idle characteristics? if needs be i can provide a pic of the new TB.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You don't have that unholy BBK throttle body do you? If so, yes, it needs a hole drilled that matches the OEM hole.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ug.. No its not the BBK one but its designed simular to it. IT doesnt have the hole in it. SO what sized hole do i need to drill into it? And the OEM one is pretty big from what i noticed.

I found a drill bit that fits the stock hole size. would i make the 80mm tb hole the same size as the stock one?
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 04-24-2011 at 08:25 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You have a cable-throttle body car so there is no limp mode. The stall related trans codes (noid performance codes) that will cause the car to run in one gear are all turned off. All of your bank 2 (rear) O2 DTCs are removed. If you have codes, you have an actual physical problem. If you have issues on BOTH front O2s, you may have lost your eng sens fuse which pushes the car to open loop speed density, but that's just a guess.

There is a sheet that comes back with your PCM that says if you have codes, before you email me (or make posts) to have the DTC numbers ready so that myself or someone else can actually help you vs. just speculate about the light.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I work problems out through email, not on every corner of the internet: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...t14833910.html

Send the PCM back and I will refund you what you paid in full. Send scans of your receipts from your own shipping and I'll pay that back as well.

Thanks for never giving me a chance to help.

Red
    98 Trans Am

um ok, thats not what i was getting at here.
    email being sent.

Thread Information