Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Passing Emissions

Hey guys, I'm trying to go through emissions and pass but I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble.

The first two times I went in, i got a "OBDII not ready" status. After driving around a bit, my check engine light goes on.

Its for a small EVAP leak. Unfortunately it's not the gas cap, I don't think. Is there a way I can erase the code and pass emissions? Any suggestions? I'm extremely tight on money and I cant afford to spend 500 on a tank drop for a small leak the shops "Think" is there, when the car has been running perfectly fine.

Will a handheld tuner do the trick? Again i'm just trying to pass emissions so i can renew my registration.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can clear the code with a scanner, but the problem will be the same that you had the first go-around. Their equipment will read "OBDII not ready".

You have to have so many miles registered before the system is ready to be scanned.

Most likely if you clear your code and then drive it around to let the cycles/mileage get to where it needs for emission testing, your SES light is going to come back on.

What is the code you have?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

damn man this is really stressing me out.

All i can tell you is that it's a Small Evap Leak. Had the system smoked out awhile back and they said a small amount of smoke was coming up from the trunk.. could just be a bad hose or something, but spending all that money is going to be really hard for me right now.

Is there anything I can do to pass, or is dropping the tank the only option I got?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

This is one of the things that you can't have "deleted". You are going to have to fix it. As to where its coming from, post up the code. 35th may be able to help you chase it down.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Really, you can pay someone todo it. Illegal but one way to get it

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Really, you can pay someone todo it. Illegal but one way to get it
    You can pay a shop if they are willing to do it. They put an override into the system and that will block the ID for the test so they can use a good car to run and record for the sticker but what about next year and the year after that. It sounds like a rubber return line on top of the tank. You need to suck it up and get it fixed right. The tank is not too difficult to drop just make sure its empty.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have a question... about how many miles does it take after deleting code(s) for the system to no longer read "OBDII not ready"? I'm kind of in the same position.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I want to say it's a combination of miles and so many cycles. I did this very thing a few years back with my V6 Camaro. That's the only reason I know.

I tried clearing the SES light while I was waiting in line at the emission's place

Got up there, and no-go. Wasn't ready.

So, I drove around about 50 miles with several on/off's and went back because the SES light was still off. I passed.

Not even kidding...as SOON as I was leaving the parking lot of the emission place my SES light came back on I was good for another 2 years though at that point

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That is exactly what I'm planning to do. Although, not while in line I figured I could delete the code, drive around for 20 miles or so and am hoping it will hold out until after it's on the dyno at the smog station before it popped back up I think 50 may be pushing it though.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Op: why not just fix it right and be done with it? Just curious...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He mentions he's tight on money so that would be my guess. My Impala has the same exact code "EVAP leak" so I'll have to deal with it at some point also as I have emissions this year in June.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Ok...I musta missed that in his earlier post. I wasn't talking smack...I've had the same code for over a month now. lol

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hey guys the code is P0442, I dug up through my maintenance records and found it from a receipt from the shop who performed the diagnostic.

I actually tried that, 35th, by taking out the fuses. Computer reset itself, i took it in after 10 miles and got a No-go. Second time, a few days later with over 50 miles accumulated, I got a NO go with a note "Do not come back to emissions before you have a shop determine your comps readiness". Well on my way to a shop the next day when i thought it was ready, the stupid light turned back on when i was a half a mile away. This has been a nightmare!!

Thanks for the help 35th, chris not a problem man i didn't think you were talking smack. Flybird, how much will that cost? I'll be okay if i do that? lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Depends if your emissions person is a) dishonest and b) if he is, how much he feels like stiffing you for. There's no set rate for thieves
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information