Red
    97 Z28

OBD II Diagnostic question

I already have a scanner that gives me trouble codes,freeze frame data etc,but I was thinking about getting a program to run on my laptop. I see that some are free and some aren't. Since I already have the cable that works with my handheld scanner,can I use it with a program for my laptop or is another cable needed? Thanks

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Free program? I'd like to see that. Then again, if it's free, it's probably not much of a program.

I doubt your cable will work with software and your laptop, but I'm not the expert on all that's available, so there may be some software out there that could use it. I know it will not work with HP Tuners.

The cable on your scanner is not the same--It is used for one-way communication--only receives information and can't send it---On a full programmer like HP Tuners or EFILIVE---it has two-way communication--the ability to receive or read information and the ability to send information .The two way cable is the most expensive part of the entire system--The EFILIVE software program for example Is availiable as a Demo on the internet for FREE--leaving you with only the cable to purchase--So what you are really paying for is the cable --The most critical component--

Red
    97 Z28

Are there a certain type of cable I need to get? thanks

I have EFILIVE--the cable came together with the software package--I would assume that the others like HP Tuners does the same. The electronics of the cable that does communication is very complex and as far as I know no one manufactures or sells it separately--There may be some patent issues involved and licenisng--I really don't know for sure-So basically no way around not buying a cable from any of the big 3 programmers--EFILIVE,HP Tuners, and LS Edit

Thread Information