newbie here, with tuning questions

Hey guys. Just found this site and it seems to have a wealth of information on it.

Anyway, to get to the point, I don't own an F body. My buddy does though, and he knows practically nothing about cars so I am his "go to" guy when it comes to questions. Anyway, he just blew his engine in his '98 Z28, and found a reputable engine builder to rebuild it. He wanted something a little faster than stock, so I suggested he go with some of the mods listed in the "LS1 cookbook" article that appeared in Hot Rod a few months ago. We've decided to go with the Comp Cam xr289, Comp Cams' 1.85:1 roller rocker kit, Comp Cams' beehive valvesprings, long tube headers, and a .030 overbore.

It's obvious he's going to need a custom tune with these mods. I'm not familiar with any of the methods used to tune a car (I'm a motorcycle guy). Here's my question: Does he need to buy a tuner, or can he take it to a shop with a dyno and have them re-program his stock ECU for his mods? He is in Jacksonville, FL. If anyone knows of a good shop in North Florida that can tune an LS1, please let me know.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

take it to a shop, to much money will be invested. you want it to run right the first go around. thanks jeremy

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

first thing i see is the .030" over bore. not going to happen. the most you'll get is .010". easiest thing would be to take it to a local shop and have it tuned by someone with experience.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Why can you not do a .030" overbore?? Maybe the guy building the engine for him is going to use a 6.0L block? Is the 6.0L a .030" over 5.7?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

because, the press in liners are not thick enough to support a .030" overbore in a LS1 motor.

Thread Information