red
    2000 camaro ss

new gears need a tune?

i have a 2000ss auto. right now sporting patroit 243 heads 228 comp cam 3500 tci stall shift kit tranny cooler air lid kenny brown sfcs lcas and torque arm hooker headers dual dual. just recently had installed motive 3.73 gears with girdle had the calibration tune but the ride is choppy. why does it feel like i need a tune. when i drive with the new gears a hear a whine and hits. dude said the hit is from the new torque arm shifts from first to second which makes sense. but do i need a tune with new gear. and if so why. shift points or i dont know much of technical talk but when i pay for calibration cant they tune the drivetrain so its smooth. why would i have to pay for another tune for a new gearthe dude says the hit is from the torque arm because of the shift kit

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

little confusing here. you had a tune done for the other stuff. went and put gears in and had the PCM changed to match the new gears only. that should not have changed the driveability of it at all.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

red
    2000 camaro ss

Correct. Ihad the heads and cam install the year before and had the dyno tune. this time just the gear install and calibration. you know what it feels like when i had them install the torque converter a couple of years ago and they forgot to remove torque management something similar

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Sounds like you should take it back and have them check what they did. My first ever tune, the shop messed something up and put someone else's settings in there. So maybe perhaps they changes something else on you.

Thanks for the post. My setup is close to yours 2000WS6 A4, but everything but heads. I'm thinking of doing 3.73s now, but need to convince the wife.

red
    2000 camaro ss

yah man. the 3.73s are tight. if u have the cam and stall the gears will improve the performance. i like it how it chirps into 2nd. but there is awhine thats pretty annoying

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I'm excited to get the gears... wondering now if the 3.90s are a nicer bet for a cruiser/weekend car. Any thoughts are welcome!

red
    2000 camaro ss

It depends.My speed shop told me no.Louder whine not worth the performance.Unless you go w/ an aftermarket rear end

Thread Information