Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Need Tune Help Please

Ok, so I'm looking at getting my LS1 tuned. I have passetter LT's w/ ORY, ported TB, Descreened MAF, Whisper Lid, Hooker cat back, NGK TR55's, 3.73's and thinking about a Yank 3600 before the tune. BTW is an auto. Now I just talked to a tuner and he said with those mod's I would only net 300hp after the tune to the RW. His price was $400. Is this right???

Navy Blue Metallic

Thinking about getting a tune

Ok, so I'm looking at getting my LS1 tuned. I have passetter LT's w/ ORY, ported TB, Descreened MAF, Whisper Lid, Hooker cat back, NGK TR55's, 3.73's and thinking about a Yank 3600 before the tune. BTW is an auto. Now I just talked to a tuner and he said with those mod's I would only net 300hp after the tune to the RW. His price was $400. Is this right???

If your talking about a dyno tune,,,then the price listed seems to be about the going rate give or take $100.

As far as the HP??? Well there are way too many variables to compare HP numbers to others with the same combination. Depends on the Dyno used and the tuner himself. Just as long as you use the same dyno and the same tuner for any changes to the car down the road that need touched up,,,,thats all that matters,,,,the HP is just a number to base those changes off of. You can take the car from one dyno to another and see 10-15 HP difference, maybe more, so I wouldn't be too hung up on HP, the dyno is just a tuning tool.
    If it's a reputable shop and you trust the work, have at it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like larry said, a dyno is just a tool. Don't take those HP numbers to heart. The only numbers that really matter are from the track. I will say with those parts and a stall your car will respond well to a tune and I think you'll be pretty happy with the performance. Definitely get the stall done, that's the number one mod for an auto. You'll wonder why in the heck you didn't do it first. Night and day difference.

Navy Blue Metallic

cool, about how much will a good stall set me back installed?

Depending on how the car responds to the 3600 a tune can help there also. After my Vig install I increased line pressure some, increased in gear idle speed to keep it from "hunting" at low speeds and coming to a stop, deleted torque management, etc.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by HasselZ28 View Post
    cool, about how much will a good stall set me back installed?
    not sure on install costs but a vig will set you back $700+ and you'll have to buy a tranny cooler also, coolers are relatively cheap though. I run a fuddle hp/street convertor in mine that runs $450.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by HasselZ28 View Post
    there is no way to know until it is on the dyno, though I typically see a good bit better than that. The 01-02s have more "freak" or stronger running cars than the previous years. With your mods I would expect 335-345rwhp typically on a Dynojet with an A4 and locked stall. On the other hand, I spent an hour and a half on the dyno with a boltons 98 recently just to get 315rwhp after a mod list almost identical to yours, though I was told afterward that the car only made 280rwhp before all of the mods. That is an extreme case, I am just using it to point out that it really depends on how strong the car was BEFORE the mods.

Navy Blue Metallic

difine a locked stall?

Frost means the converter is in lockup mode, or the converter clutch is activated just as it does while cruising in 4th gear.

Sometimes people will do that on a chassis dyno to squeeze a few more ponies at the rear wheels, since it eliminates all converter slippage.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Using software to lock the converter clutch so there is no slip through the pull. The car will make 5-15 less with an OEM unlocked stall and 15-20ish on avg with an unlocked aftermarket stall. Those variations aren't concrete, and some converters give up more up top for more punch off the line.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Frost means the converter is in lockup mode, or the converter clutch is activated just as it does while cruising in 4th gear.

Sometimes people will do that on a chassis dyno to squeeze a few more ponies at the rear wheels, since it eliminates all converter slippage.

Some might, but that's not why I lock them up. When logging, you only get so many samples a second, and with it locked, you get much more data for making changes. With it unlocked, it just jumps through it's flash area.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

don't you also get spikes with it unlocked?

Navy Blue Metallic

So the tuner that I am going to has LS1 Edit, does that software have the ability to do that?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    don't you also get spikes with it unlocked?
    You do on the older versions on WinPEP, the newer DJ software seems to have gotten rid of it; at least the 224 I use.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Thumbs up

Frost - You have the older LS1 edit - Boy do I have - will have - questions for you - I live in Montana and no one does LS1 tuning - My tuner has lef the country,but the Ls1 edit is mine.Thanks,Michael

Navy Blue Metallic

That doesn't awnser my question really.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yes, you can lock the convertor with edit

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Thats good to know on my part too!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    Frost - You have the older LS1 edit - Boy do I have - will have - questions for you - I live in Montana and no one does LS1 tuning - My tuner has lef the country,but the Ls1 edit is mine.Thanks,Michael
    No I use HPT, sorry if I said something confusing that could have been misconstrued as such. Regardless, I can still help with tuning questions if you post up problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information