Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

need help, calling in Frost

my car started acting real strange last summer. if you are say sitting in a parking lot on a real hot day(95-105) with ac on, the oil gauge will start to bounce, then the coolant gauge will start to go haywire, it goes real hot, then real cold. the needle will stay bottomed out for awhile then it will come up to normal. the whole time this is happening the car runs real rough, and if i dont keep it throttled enough it will die. then i smell raw fuel from the exhaust. it never set any codes untill the other day, set 10 codes!! all bs codes too, ect voltage too high, ect voltage too low, maf codes, both o2 codes for switching too slow and too fast. knock sensor codes. it only happens in the summer. i am going to check my chassis grounds. but i have a hunch that my pcm might be going south and with high ambient temp and then high under hood temps it is causing some high internal resistance in the pcm.

any help or ideas is appreciated. hopefully my pcm is going out so i can get one from Frost
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Sounds like an electrical gremlin, elusive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i know i dont mind electrical but i think i am going to print out the diagnostic table from gm on one of the codes and follow it and hopefully it will lead me to the pcm

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have only EVER seen one PCM fail, and it was an IAC driver, the rest worked.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

wow. I have seen quite a few fail but thats cuz i work at a dealership. Who knows

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

F-body PCMs are tough as nails.

I see cars with shorted I/O that never seem to be affected. I get them mailed to me in large boxes totally devoid of all packing material and they bounce around and tear up the box but they always work.

It sounds most like a hard short, one that wouldn't have a fuse such as a starter cable. If it's not so dramatic in the car, the alternator could be getting too hot as well and the voltage may be sagging. Odd things happen when the voltage gets a little low.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

true true, i thought maybe alternator, but its strange as to why it only happens in summer. texas summer that is. like its getting extra resistance or something to set random codes. i have let it idle in wyoming temps for a long time and it never does it. only when it is 95+. very queer

Thread Information