red
    02 trans am ws6

mail order tune help

I swapped a LS6 into my 02 TA also added a cam, larger injectors, bla bla bla what my question is, is that ever since the tune my SES light is throwing a MAP code. I called the tuner and he said to check the vaccum hoses. I did this and they are all hooked up. I also just swapped in a new clutch and changed the MAP sensor and checked the hoses again, still throwing a code. I had a SLP maf in it and swapped that back out for stock so now I'm throwing a MAF code too. My main concern is with the MAP code. I'm running lean. Could this be a problem started by something over looked when it was tuned or am I missing something? I put the stock maf in because I was told the SLP isn't going to function (like a stock one would) with performance parts. I just really need input on the MAP code. Thanks...

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

note to you - NEVER GET A MAIL ORDER TUNE
    "Amber" - 97 WS6 LT4 converted Trans Am, SLP headers, 3200 stall, 1.6 RR's, line lock, cut out, exhaust, pioneer system, too much to list!
    www.WS6Racing.com

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by brynnda View Post
    note to you - NEVER GET A MAIL ORDER TUNE
    Mail order tunes aren't that bad. I've had some pretty good tunes from PCMforless in the past.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

ohh thats good. pcm 4 less can suck my ass. ive had nothing but problems with them, ill get a real tune from now on.

10's N/A

all power 2 you. I tune my own stuff now days via LT1 EDIT.

red
    02 trans am ws6

Ya mine was a pcm4less tune not bashing them at all, just wondering if somethimg was over looked at thier end..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No tuner can do but so much diagnosis if you car isn't in front of them. If you don't have the software to log, monitor, and diagnose, then this could potentially be quite difficult to fix by blindly throwing parts at it. You have a setup which you NEED real tuning and scanning software and will need it more than once. If you don't go that route the only real option is to take it to someone who does.

On the other note, mail order tunes can work very well for boltons cars. For cammed or H/C cars with bigger injectors, the ONLY thing I use mail order tuning for is so that the car can be driven to me for tuning.

Best of luck

orange
    99 z28

yeah i use a predator, not sur eif they make an lt1 version though..

handhelds are good, i'll leave it at that. just don't expect a miracle (although mines night and day after the tune)

hptuners is the best, but its $$ and hard to use. ls1edit and lt1edit are out there, both good, i wouldn't trust em though, i've heard a few stories about fried pcm's...

never ever trust a tune by mail or whatever you did. all they're doing is blindly leaning it out based on averages. not very safe or cheap if you happen to ruin your engine. i like the handheld because i can change my tune to a combo of readouts and seat of the pants feel. now i gotta save up for hptuners a rear end and clutch lol

oh btw a nice little trick i pulled was going to predators website and bugged a worker until he made me a custom tune (free) for my cam, then simply tweaked the settings until i got pretty damn close to perfect.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    hptuners is the best, but its $$ and hard to use. ls1edit and lt1edit are out there, both good, i wouldn't trust em though, i've heard a few stories about fried pcm's...

I've been using the Carputing LT1/LS1 EDIT software for 5 years now, **excellent** product IF you know how to use it. I've wen't mid 10's with it before but I must admit it is NOT for ameature's. Yes guys have fried their PCM's with this software due to their lack of knowledge on how to use it. You can do that with any complex tuning program if you don't know what your doing.

red
    02 trans am ws6

I'm not dissing pcm4less at all, I just got gears and ordered a fast 92 set up. I will have the gears installed Monday and I will do the fast before it gets on the trailer to get track tuned. I just want all the ducks in a row and don't want to get to the track and hear, "sorry bro your MAP is fu@*ed up there is nothing I can do." Thats why I was wondering if it might be a over looked tune problem.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I've been using the Carputing LT1/LS1 EDIT software for 5 years now, **excellent** product IF you know how to use it. I've wen't mid 10's with it before but I must admit it is NOT for ameature's. Yes guys have fried their PCM's with this software due to their lack of knowledge on how to use it. You can do that with any complex tuning program if you don't know what your doing.
    apples and oranges. LS1edit was fine for it's time and it gets the job done but it never evolved into what's out there now. I've never messed with LT1 software but I do know that tunercat was extremely popular with the LT1 guys and cheap. Efilive and Hptuners completely blow LS1edit out of the water. There's just really no comparison.

To the OP
    Like everyone is saying.....the only real solution is to get the car scanned and see what's going on. What's your idle like and what rpm's are you idling at? Have you checked around the manifold and all vacuum lines for leaks? The safest way is to use propane but some people use carb cleaner and just spray the lines and around the intake to see if the idle changes. Just ideas.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    LS1edit was fine for it's time and it gets the job done
    Exactly.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Exactly.
    Hmmm... lemme see you try and really wideband tune a VE table or MAF with it.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Hmmm... lemme see you try and really wideband tune a VE table or MAF with it.
    Let me just put it this way 4 u...I've wen't really quick using the LT1 EDIT software, 10.61@128 to be exact in a juiced '97 SS back in 2002. LT1 EDIT was the program of choice for the LTx cars then. Out of the 8 f-bodies i've owned four of them were tuned via edit, and I was pleased with all four of them. Of course nowdays there is much better software out there, as with time comes better technology. My current car has a 8860 ECU from Engine Management Systems tuned by my buddie Keith at Force Fed Performance in Sacramento, CA, which iN IMO the best tuner guy in the world

Thread Information