Thread: Mail Order Tune

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Mail Order Tune

I'm getting my Ls6 intake installed and Im going to have frost do a mail order tune on it. However, I had it tuned a long time ago by slp and a lot of the stuff he tunes for a basic bolt on tune is done already. Does anyone know if its cheaper if that stuff is done on it already?
    1998 Trans am Ws6, T56 : SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Smooth Bellows, Granatelli air foil, LS6 Intake, SLP Harmonic Balancer pulley, QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe, LS7 Clutch & flywheel, Hurst Billet Pro shifter,Tick Master Cylinder, UMI LCA relocation kit, UMI LCA, UMI Panhard Bar, Tuned by Frost

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as you properly complete the tuning data sheet, Steve will account for everything in what he does. No harm in overwriting the old SLP tune file with the new one imo.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Trust Steve, he knows what he is doing. 150.00 plus shipping is well worth it.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm going to say it is $150 still regardless of what has already been done by a previous tuner.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

I'd guarantee your first tune with any new tuner such as Frost will be regular price because it's going to cost Frost a credit to link onto a new serial number.

After that any touch up tuning is cheaper because you can tune the same car infinantly without the need for more credits.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'd guarantee your first tune with any new tuner such as Frost will be regular price because it's going to cost Frost a credit to link onto a new serial number.

After that any touch up tuning is cheaper because you can tune the same car infinantly without the need for more credits.
    That makes sense. I didn't realize that was part of the process. How do you pay? before you send it on his website or include a check when you mail it in?

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Im filling out the mail order form and Im not sure what gears come stock in my rear end. 1998 Trans am M6?

Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I believe that'll have 3.42's in it from the factory.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Thats what I thought just wanted to make sure.
    I never had my computer tuned after headers so now that I got the new intake manifold its time. Will I notice a difference in the way it.performs after a tune by frost?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Absolutely.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

seeing what mods I have no without the tune how is it most likely running, lean or rich?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The O2 senders' feedback loop to the PCM are compensating for the fact that your tune is off. They are probably adding fuel. If you have a scanner, you can see this in your short and long term fuel trims.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

So if the PCM is compensating for it what does the tune do? Just curious about the science behind it. I have the LS6 intake now to so now it must be compensating even more, correct?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any change that affects airflow through the engine needs to be taken into account in the tune. An increase in airflow requires a corresponding increase in fuel to maintain optimal combustion. Your stock VE (volumetric efficiency) table is now not reflective of what is actually happening in your engine. As a result, the PCM is relying upon feedback from the engine sensors to adjust fueling, however, it is a moving target that you are trying to stick with a band-aide. Not having the tune optimized for the mods is literally leaving power and performance on the table. In addition to the VE table, tweaks are made to the spark tables, transmission settings (if auto - inlcuding torque management and line pressures) and other matters can also be accounted for, including secondary air, rear O2 senders, etc.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

What jeff said. Beat me by a min.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Well put. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Now when the wife ask me why I have to get this done I can tell her that. She won't know what to say

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

I just got my computer back from Frost and the car runs great now, definitely a noticeable difference. Thanks Frost for the fast shipping. Highly recommend him if you need a tune

Thread Information