Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Mail order or dyno tune?

I am going to be finishing up a 383 lt1 build and it is going to need a tune. I have read about people that have gotten bad tunes from mail orders and I have read about people having great experiances with them. Which way should I go? I have not put the topend together yet but I am leaning to a LE2 head and LE cam on top of a 383 built for low end grunt and bieng done by 6500rpms. will I be able to find a good mail order tune that will save me the trip to a dyno for 6 months or so? I am going to be short on funds by the time I get the motor done so I would like to know wheather I should save my money and go dyno or if mail order will work fine.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You always benefit more form a live tune. Although being on the other side of the coast I couldn't tell you where a good tuner is. Sure there are decent mail order tunes just have to get on your local website and see where everyone goes.

Red
    2017 Z06

In your case with the mods and engine you have a dyno tune is virtually a must. I don't see how a mail order tune could be close unless you have a wide band and tuner with lap top to run logs to send to a tuner.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The main problem with your car is that the computer is not "open" so the chip is taken out flashed then seen how it performs, not quite as easy as newer obd II computers.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The main problem with your car is that the computer is not "open" so the chip is taken out flashed then seen how it performs, not quite as easy as newer obd II computers.
    Well my car is an obd II. it's a 97 so I don't have a chip to take out. Is there any sites around that may list dyno tunners around me? I have searched online but I have not found anyone that WANTS to tune a custom lt1. Alot do ls1's but lt1's it seems to be if thier in the mood for it.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i didnt see any thing on frost site about doing lt1 car's but it cant hurt to ask him. im sure there is a local guy that can do it the hard part is finding some one that is good at it. if all he will do is a dyno tune i would look for some one else and find some one that will give you a street tune so you know you can drive it with out all way having to floor it.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

yes frost is a well known tuner on this site for mail order tunes

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Thanks for the nice words guys! Unfortunately, I do not tune anything older than LS1 (unless it has a carb or a standalone) at this time.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Thanks for the nice words guys! Unfortunately, I do not tune anything older than LS1 (unless it has a carb or a standalone) at this time.
    Anyone you know of that can do it? Someone once said PCM's for less but I have not seen any feed back.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i didnt see any thing on frost site about doing lt1 car's but it cant hurt to ask him. im sure there is a local guy that can do it the hard part is finding some one that is good at it. if all he will do is a dyno tune i would look for some one else and find some one that will give you a street tune so you know you can drive it with out all way having to floor it.
    Interesting point. I really need a data log don't I? Is there anyone that can help me tune it? I could buy all the equipment I need. Is this a better option than dyno tunning? I will be driving it quit a bit and never go to the track.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Interesting point. I really need a data log don't I? Is there anyone that can help me tune it? I could buy all the equipment I need. Is this a better option than dyno tunning? I will be driving it quit a bit and never go to the track.
    well if you find a good guy (or girl) to do it you can get bouth done i did on my car we street tuned it then put it on the dyno wo finish it. if you buy it all your self your looking at a lot of coin. and if you do i would get hptuners and get in to the class on just how to use it.

Sweacertofara

Mail order or dyno tune

All the places ive ran into a dyno tune usually cost around 500-550.

Until you start going into the motor, i would most definitely stick with a mail order tune, and with a mail order tune I would definitely go w/ Vince Trifecta

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Well thats were I am at. I am finishing up a 383 LT1 build with LE2 heads and custom cam. Most everything I have found around me is just ls1 stuff. They wont do an lt1 for some reason. I was thinking of giving brian at PCM's for less a call. just don't know what to do because I don't want to waist 400 on a mail order and then have to go get a $500+ dyno tune.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

that is a rip 500 for a dyno tune. i got my car done for 550 and is was a street tune then we wint to the dyno to finish it. and im that included the dyno time. we have a guy around here that dos lt1 stuff but it may be a bit far for you to come for just a tune.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I can tell you why I don't do LT1s....

The software and hardware used to tune them is archaic and error must be corrected on the single-cell level unless you are 'hack-tuning' it. I can tune them, but because of the software, they are much slower to tune than LS1s and the price has to reflect that. I can't give away my time. Most of the LT1 guys want LS1 prices or lower and it's not possible for me to offer them. I warned customers in the past, gave them an idea of what to expect, and then had them pitch a fit when the car was finished. Out of 600-something setups, the only refunds for unhappy customers that I have ever given was a single boltons mail order tune from a member here (who almost certainly had a bad MAF but wouldn't hear it) and two LT1 cars. After spending 7-8 hours on the last LT1 car and having the owner refusing to pay for the time (after all of it was explicitly laid out to him up front) I decided to quit LT1s. They lose me time and many of the owners don't have the funds they need to properly finish these projects or pay for tuning.

Thread Information