White
    1989 Camaro IROC

Looking for a programer

I picked up a 1989 Camaro Iroc with the 5.7L TPI. im planing to pull the motor this winter and rebuild it, I want to put a cam in it, heads and a intake on it. But i can't find a programer for it. Can anyone point me in the right derection.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

there are no handheld programmers for the third gen cars. you have to get an editor like tunercat. i used tunercat on my 86TA i used to have. i also used the flash chips and PROM adapter from moates.net so i didn't have to buy an UV eraser. used the pocket programmer to upload the files to the flash chips.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

White
    1989 Camaro IROC

Thanks alot. Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by budtoh3zo
    I picked up a 1989 Camaro Iroc with the 5.7L TPI. im planing to pull the motor this winter and rebuild it, I want to put a cam in it, heads and a intake on it. But i can't find a programer for it. Can anyone point me in the right derection.
    Programmer = You yourself...

You're 89's L98 is a MAF oriented system, thus is will compensate for any feasible changes being made to the valvetrain all on it's own. You won't initially need to burn a new chip (although it's highly recommended that you do)... all you really need to do is bump up you're fuel pressure setting a tad, and set you're idle speed properly.

The duration and LSA of the cam that you select will be the deciding factor on whether you immediately need a tune or not. If you decide that you do in fact want a radical cam, you can always (although I'm honestly against it) consider getting a mail order tune... and have someone burn you a chip based on the specs that you provide. This should at least help make the engine "streetable".

White
    1989 Camaro IROC

were would i get a whole chip burning set up at?

Quote Originally Posted by budtoh3zo
    were would i get a whole chip burning set up at?
    Click on this Link here, and be sure to read everything provided throughout the thread. Member's such as Vader, Grumpy, Traxion, RBob & 3.8 Trans Am are the absolute best that the web has to offer in reference to Tuned Port Injection tuning...

Treat them with respect, and they will respond with the very same respect right back to you. You have a lot of reading to do my friend, and they're going to expect that you read everything in full... before you start throwing questions at them. Otherwise, you'll either get a response that states the answer is found in the information that you should have already read, or be lucky to get a response from them at all.

Good luck!

White
    1989 Camaro IROC

Thanks alot, I like reading tech stuff so anything u got is very welcome. That is probibly the site i need to be on.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Check out thirdgen.org.... There are at least two boards there and technical articles that describe exactly what you need to buy and where to buy it from.

You will be programming Eprom chips for your 1989 car. You have the 165 ECM with the $6E mask.
    '99 Camaro SS; 6-spd, LS2 402 stroker short block, PP stage 3 heads, GMS MAF, 244/248 cam, FLP headers, Borla catback, 4.10 gears, LS6 intake, 39#/hr injectors, Pro 5.0 shifter, subframe connectors, Comp Cams 1.85 rr,
    Best ET: 12.23sec (2.000sec 60'), trap spd:117.5mph, with the LS1 engine.

White
    1989 Camaro IROC

Thanks.

Thread Information