Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Locate IAT Sensor???

I just bought a computer performance chip from SLR Motorsports for my 1999 Camaro SS with the LS-1. Can someone tell me where the IAT is located so I can hook this up. Thanks!
    Last edited by samsz28; 06-16-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Our cars don't take chips. It seems some time ago I heard of a module that plugs into the port under the dash that supposedly boosts performance. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you got ripped off. Same goes for handheld tuners - they are a waste of money. Your best options are to either get a mail order tune from someone like Frost - a sponser on this site, or have a reputable dyno shop tune the car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's not a performance chip....it's a timing tricker and not real safe to use. It tricks the computer into thinking the air temp is colder than it actually is so you get more fuel and timing. Not a very safe thing to do. Not sure what they charged you for it...normally see them very cheap but you could've gotten a mail order tune from Frost on here for $125 and it would've been a much better and completely safe way to get more performance.
    If you still choose to do that the IAT is just behind the air filter in the intake tract. It'll be a 2 wire sensor.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Hate to pile on here but you got ripped my man. I don't think you will find anyone on this site or any other f body site with serious F body knowledge who would put one of those "performance chips" on their car. Real tune only way to go

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's not a performance chip....it's a timing tricker and not real safe to use. It tricks the computer into thinking the air temp is colder than it actually is so you get more fuel and timing. Not a very safe thing to do. Not sure what they charged you for it...normally see them very cheap but you could've gotten a mail order tune from Frost on here for $125 and it would've been a much better and completely safe way to get more performance.
    If you still choose to do that the IAT is just behind the air filter in the intake tract. It'll be a 2 wire sensor.
    what he said...as you have yet to install i would ask for a refund personally ...dont worry ..it is a much more common mistake than you would believe ... learn from this and please please read the stickies here on our wonderful sight or ask a question through PMs. i will be sure and help you any way i can.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Bad news bearer #5 here. Use that doohickey at your own risk.

BTW, tell us more about your car such as mods if any. If you're serious about upping the performance level we'll be more than glad to offer suggestions.

FWIW, your 1st modification should be a good set of weld in sub-frame connectors (SFC for short). This will allow you to be able to close the doors and keep water from leaking thru the T-tops (if so equipped) down the road. And, if you have a vert, they're different from hard and t-top cars.

Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I do mine.

And technically speaking, it's an "LS1" not an LS-1. LS with a hyphen is a nomenclature style for old school 454 BBC engines.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

I already asked for a refund on this performance chip and have contacted Frost on a mail order tune. All I have on my 1999 LS1 is a aftermarket airflow sensor right now. It's also a convertible and doesn't have T-tops. Any info. on getting more HP or performance out of my car would be much appreciated! Thanks to everyone who has replied. Also, what does read the stickies mean???

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Stickys are the threads that are permanently at the top of each section. They have great information.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by samsz28 View Post
    I already asked for a refund on this performance chip and have contacted Frost on a mail order tune. All I have on my 1999 LS1 is a aftermarket airflow sensor right now. It's also a convertible and doesn't have T-tops. Any info. on getting more HP or performance out of my car would be much appreciated! Thanks to everyone who has replied. Also, what does read the stickies mean???
    Aftermarket MAF? Please don't tell us you have a SLP MAF on there...........please

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

1st thing you'll want to do is SFC's. No if's, and's or but's. Like I said before SFC's for a vert are different from those used on a hard or t-top car (more pick up points). IMHO weld in style are superior to bolt in. You want that top to be square with the windshield frame 5-10 years from now don't you? The more HP you throw down the more the lack of a frame will be tweaking the car. I could tell stories that'll make your hair stand up!

I had a 96 Z28 vert and I can tell you from experience the difference in ride quality and handling is night and day. No more feeling like the car is loose going over railroad tracks and the handling (throwing out the rearend doing a turn going through a slalom for example) is much more predictable.

If it already has SFC's then mod away!

Myself and others can recommend what to do. Just tell us what you can afford to spend.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Stickys are the threads that are permanently at the top of each section. They have great information.
    Still can't find these stickies your refering to???

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    1st thing you'll want to do is SFC's. No if's, and's or but's. Like I said before SFC's for a vert are different from those used on a hard or t-top car (more pick up points). IMHO weld in style are superior to bolt in. You want that top to be square with the windshield frame 5-10 years from now don't you? The more HP you throw down the more the lack of a frame will be tweaking the car. I could tell stories that'll make your hair stand up!

I had a 96 Z28 vert and I can tell you from experience the difference in ride quality and handling is night and day. No more feeling like the car is loose going over railroad tracks and the handling (throwing out the rearend doing a turn going through a slalom for example) is much more predictable.

If it already has SFC's then mod away!

Myself and others can recommend what to do. Just tell us what you can afford to spend.
    Where do you get these SFC's or IMHO's?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Where do you get these SFC's or IMHO's?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

You said SFC's or IMHO's where do you get these from???

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

SFC's = sub frame connectors (see BMR, Spohn, UMI, Wolfe Racecraft, etc)
    IMHO = in my humble opinion

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I have a set of BMR SFC's on my Vert and love them. I contacted BMR directly and they got me the best price and free shipping. Give them a call.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Still can't find these stickies your refering to???
    go to the main forum page and click on the "general" section. At the top of that section there are 3 threads at the top that say "sticky" next to them in red letters. Look at the general info sticky and the tech sticky.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Our cars don't take chips. It seems some time ago I heard of a module that plugs into the port under the dash that supposedly boosts performance. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you got ripped off. Same goes for handheld tuners - they are a waste of money. Your best options are to either get a mail order tune from someone like Frost - a sponser on this site, or have a reputable dyno shop tune the car.
    What do you mean are cars don't take chips???????? They certainly do??????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

What do you mean are cars don't take chips???????? They certainly do??????
    no they don't.....

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Chips

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    no they don't.....
    So you're telling me that my 1999 SS Camaro with LS1 will not take a SLR perf. Chip? How do you figure I bought it specifically for that year and model????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information