black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

hypertech PP3 or max energy?

hello.i am going to buy a power programmer for my ls1.does anyone know if there is any difference between the power programmer 3 and the max energy programmer?i want to get the power programmer 3 because i can get it really cheap,but i want to make sure it can delete egr parameters because i plan on running a ls6 manifold.also i want to delete cats so power programmer 3 needs to be able to change o2 sensor parameters also.or i need to get o2 simulators.does anyone have any experience with this?im still new at ls1's
    Last edited by Leeroyws6; 02-12-2010 at 04:58 PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

get a mail order tune, 1998 ls1s dont do well with handhelds(heck no LS1s do) handhelds are a waste of hard earned money in my, and many others on here opinions,

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1. Get a mail order tune rather than mess with a handheld. Hit the sponsor button and check out "Tuned by Frost". I have a Hypertech and use it primarily to monitor sensor outputs. It will not do either of the tasks that you inquired about. You would need to get something like HP Tuners to make those modifications yourself.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    get a mail order tune, 1998 ls1s dont do well with handhelds(heck no LS1s do) handhelds are a waste of hard earned money in my, and many others on here opinions,
    i wonder why that is?so can i still use the egr system with the ls6 manifold?ive been to frost's website.i will definatley look into it.thanks
    Leeroy

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    i wonder why that is?so can i still use the egr system with the ls6 manifold?ive been to frost's website.i will definatley look into it.thanks
    Leeroy
    1998s are just built a little bit different than other years. we have a different pcm, bigger injectors, different heads, a smaller gas tank, different exhaust set up etc

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Leeroy
    slp makes an LS6 intake that has the EGR provision but other than that you have to remove the EGR system. I would remove it and buy the intake used, you'll save quite a bit of money doing it that way. Frost can give you a mail order tune that will be much better than an hpp3 tune and once again will be cheaper.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

hello.i am going to buy a power programmer for my ls1.does anyone know if there is any difference between the power programmer 3 and the max energy programmer?i want to get the power programmer 3 because i can get it really cheap,but i want to make sure it can delete egr parameters because i plan on running a ls6 manifold.also i want to delete cats so power programmer 3 needs to be able to change o2 sensor parameters also.or i need to get o2 simulators.does anyone have any experience with this?im still new at ls1's
    How cheap are you getting the Hypertech PPIII for?? I have one for a '98 for sale if you are interested.

It definitely makes a difference in power and torque, especially top end. When it was stock it would bark the tires into 2nd, with the PPIII it would spin pretty hard. I took the PPIII tune off when I got a full dyno tune, since I had more mods.

Obviously a real dyno tune is the best thing, but thats expensive and not an option for some people.

Let me know if you are interested in the PPIII. It also is very useful for controlling cooling fan operation temps, recalbirating the speedo for different gears, and tuning the trans if you have an automatic.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    How cheap are you getting the Hypertech PPIII for?? I have one for a '98 for sale if you are interested.

It definitely makes a difference in power and torque, especially top end. When it was stock it would bark the tires into 2nd, with the PPIII it would spin pretty hard. I took the PPIII tune off when I got a full dyno tune, since I had more mods.

Obviously a real dyno tune is the best thing, but thats expensive and not an option for some people.

Let me know if you are interested in the PPIII. It also is very useful for controlling cooling fan operation temps, recalbirating the speedo for different gears, and tuning the trans if you have an automatic.
    that post goes against what eveyone else is saying about the hypertech pp3.i have been convinced to get a frost mail order.i was gonna get the hypertech pp3 off ebay for less than $100.but i lost the bid.theres a guy in orange county CL thats selling one for $50.00 but at that price im kinda weary about buying it.might not work.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

that post goes against what eveyone else is saying about the hypertech pp3.i have been convinced to get a frost mail order.i was gonna get the hypertech pp3 off ebay for less than $100.but i lost the bid.theres a guy in orange county CL thats selling one for $50.00 but at that price im kinda weary about buying it.might not work.

My Hypertech is locked to the VIN. Will not work on anyone else's car unless it is sent back to Hypertech to have it "unlocked". Maybe the newer ones are different, but I doubt it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My Hypertech is locked to the VIN. Will not work on anyone else's car unless it is sent back to Hypertech to have it "unlocked". Maybe the newer ones are different, but I doubt it.
    As long as you "unload" the tune from the car, the Hypertech is "unlocked" and can be used on another vehicle.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Never used Hypertech's hand helds but have had good results with thier various chip sets for my puller car (OBD1).. Their stage III chip worked magic with my 4t60e shift points and rev limiter for my TDC.. I'd buy hypertech's stuff again myself.. I guess it's all a matter of what your tunning goals are.. There's good and bad that goes with just about everything there is on the market.. I say give it a go if you've got some extra cash, always good to add a new tool to the box imho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

I am looking to tune my 99 SS and found the hypertech max energy power 32002 for $379.00 and the economy version for $289.00 on the hypertech website and new on ebay does anyone if there is a cheaper way to buy one?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by mikegun1 View Post
    I am looking to tune my 99 SS and found the hypertech max energy power 32002 for $379.00 and the economy version for $289.00 on the hypertech website and new on ebay does anyone if there is a cheaper way to buy one?
    just get a mail order tune. Its much better and much cheaper

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

Do you have a recommendation for the mail order tune or if you could e-mail the info mike_gunnell@yahoo.com thank you

98 Formula
    06 duramax

look up frost on here......

or www.tunedbyfrost.com
    Last edited by 0rion; 06-21-2010 at 10:27 PM.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Frost for sure

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Frost all the way. DO NOT waste your money on those hand held programmers.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

thank you for the tips.

Black
    1998 firebird formula ws6

I have a 98 hypertech power programmer plus for sale if you wanna go that way, $100

Thread Information