SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

hypertech power programer III

i was wondering if this would be worth getting for the 93 premium octane power program, i have a 98 SS with a flowmaster and MTI induction

do any of you guys have this all ready and would you reccomend it?

is this worth the money and what are they typical power gains.

"Lucky" Luciano
    For the same money or less you can get a custom tune. HPP is not worth it imo.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

HPP3 is good if you changed gears or tire sizes, other then that you are better off spending a little more and getting a Predator or custom tune as stated above.

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

HPP3 = most expensive door stopper.
    Waste of time and money.
    6 month later I got it I went with LS1 Edit and looked in the HPP3 program: call it everything but not a tune!

The predator doesn't fit the 98, if you have a laptop I'd buy some serious software.
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

transam1998

Hpp3

My friend has a 2003 t/a M6. HE installed the HPP3 power tuning, then we went to the track. He couldn't get his car to run any better than 14.0 @ 100 mph. He came back into the pits, installed the stock tuning, then went back up and ran 13.6 @ 106 mph. The only thing he is currently using the HPP3 for is to change the fan schedule and to correct the speedo. Kind of an expensive unit for that.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Yeah forgot about that stupid "Power Programming." Haven't heard one good thing about it.

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

transam1998: how does a 2003 t/a look like? the 2002 was the last one!

The power tuning increases timing in a couple of spots claming it's optimized.
    Increases the MAF curve, this should put all LTFT negative, at the same time it messes with the torque calculation which is used to determinate shift pressure.. !!!
    It leans out WOT too much.
    In the 98 version the TCC never locks!!!!!!!!!!
    When you increase shift firmness it increases the pressure just at low load and keeps the same at high load - just for the feeling, but it doesn't help to handle more power at high load.
    Thermostat settings: way too low for this kind of engines (it's also a legend that they perform better when cold, but it's another discussion).
    The setting doesn't fit with the 'stat they sell.

Sorry to spread so much sh*it but certain things have to be said.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Thumbs down

Stay away fro HPP3...

Bill
    2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
    CAI, Inc. Cold Air Induction;ADM Scoop
    Rx Catch Can;Rx Breather;Roto-Fab Washer Container
    VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
    XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
    Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
    Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
    Tinted Windows 35%
    EFILive Tune

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had it and lost power with it in my 02 WS6. The unit then went bad and Hypertech told me to shove it because I'm the second owner. (Even though the memmory on the unit went bad which is a manufacturing defect) I was using it on my wife's car to adjust tranny shift points and firmness. Glad I only payed $150 instead of $300+. So now I have to take my wife's car to a dealer and pay to have them remove the programming. Thanks Hypertech!

In short stay away from that piece of Junk!
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

huzi
    HI, can anyone tell me that can i make my car faster with HPP3 i gat 98 z28 Ls1 and gat one HPP3

silver
    07 Liberty

I have HPPIII on my 98 Vette, I had none of the problems others have mentioned, dropped .8 in quarter, and picked up 4mph with the only other change being a ZO6 catback and of course the t-stat.Been in the car three years, when the only other alternative was ls1edit.Bought mine used for $200. Would have lost the cost of a dyno tune when I took the car in for the column lock recall, as I was able to program back to stock before taking it in for the recall.
    One in four people are mentally unstable, think of three of your friends, if they are ok, you are the one!

Black
    99 SS

ok, i have a laptop that i never use, i want to get a program that i can do everything with my car, like tunes and shit, what is the program? and where can i buy it? i want to be able to change shift points, and get a professional tune, anyone?

zzzonly1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    ok, i have a laptop that i never use, i want to get a program that i can do everything with my car, like tunes and shit, what is the program? and where can i buy it? i want to be able to change shift points, and get a professional tune, anyone?
    hypertech will do it...HELPS ALOTTT I HAVE IT

Black
    1999 T/A

The HPPIII was one of my first mods along with a lid and cut-out. I have never had any problems with the unit. However if I had to do it over again I would spend a little extra money and get a vinci or predator. If you don't plan on modding alot try to find a used one but make sure its not VIN locked. Otherwise go with something else. Oh yeah my car responded very well to the Power Tuning Option.
    1999 Pontiac T/A A4

Headers, Gears, Sweet Thunder TD's, Suspension & Brake Upgrades, 2 Tone Interior, and Other Mics Parts
    ***PICS & MOD LIST***
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...allsigpic2.jpg

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    you would want ls1edit or hptuners... if you plan on going the supercharged/turbo route than go with hptuners, you can purchase extra stuff to tune for boost, as far as i know ls1edit doesnt have that option.

Thread Information