Thread: Hypertech ?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Hypertech ?

Anybody know where I can send this thing to get it unlocked? Hypertech wants 300$ to unlock it and I can just buy a new one for that fuckin much money. It's a power programmer 3 for 2000 LS1 cars. I just need to change my gear ratio and Temperature that the fan comes on. Bought it from an asshole off ebay who said it was unlocked, but it's not. Before anyone flames me I tried the search and did not find an answer. Thanks in advance. I tried getting my money back but that fucker wouldn't return my emails and Ebay wasnt any help with the whole thing.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Hate to say it but it sounds like you got scammed. In the words of a former Prez, "I feel your pain." Unfortunately, short of sending it in to have it unlocked there may not be anything else you can do.

I wish I could help but I can't. Maybe somebody else on here has some ideas.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I bought a used one for $200 when we first got our car and fortunately it worked. I did not realize they charged that much to unlock it. Damn...

Flamed for asking a question? You must be thinking of another LS site -- I have not seen that happen in the year I have been here.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You got ripped/scammed. Chalk it up to learning experience. Don't pour anymore money into that HPP, thats just flushing more money down the toilet. HPP are intended to be used on one VIN and thats why they want $300 to unlock it, you would be basically buying a "new" one. The tune from those devices is horrible, it leans you out to maybe get a small HP gain, if any at all. Find a tuner to make the edits you need, they will probably charge you anywhere from $75-150 for the edits you need made. If you spend another dime on that HPP, you are wasting your money.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I have to agree with above the HPP is a complete waste of money. For ALOT less you can get a good mail order tune and gain good power safely.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hypertech makes good chips for OBDI cars, and not much else....IMHO
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I bought my Hypertech a few months before joining this site -- if I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent the money. I do use it as a monitor -- it is actually mounted to my passenger side cupholder (and gets lots of looks at shows). I vary the display depending upon what I am doing, but it always has engine temp up as our factory temp gauge is a POS.

I have utilized it to reset our fans for a 180 degree stat, to correct tire diameter, and to firm up shift points. I have since obtained a mail order tune from Frost so it will simply be a monitoring device at this point. I did also use it for a few "test runs" on an open stretch of highway before heading to the track last fall. The 1/4 mile program seemed to be fairly close based upon my actual times at the track. I was also able to log each run to see timing advance, knock retard, rpm, etc...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I know it's a waste of $. I just wanted it so I could change the fan temp and the gear ratio as well as the tire height. I know it's worthless for tuning purposes. Yeah I even asked if it was unlocked and the guy said it was.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

If you must have a hand held tuner, the predator is decent and its cheaper than a hypertech. It allows you to change pretty much anything from timing to air/fuel mix, allows turning off the torque management, and many more detailed adjustments. I still have mine from my formy. Diablosport says its $100 to unlock it. Im savin it for my next Ls.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I'm gonna get a Formato tune when I can afford to after I get my heads and cam installed, I just needed the thing in the meantime cause my speedo is off and the fan doesnt come on soon enough.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just a thought. Has your car ever been professionally tuned before? If so, some tuners "lock" their tunes and this would result in an error message on the Hypertech unit.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just a thought. Has your car ever been professionally tuned before? If so, some tuners "lock" their tunes and this would result in an error message on the Hypertech unit.
    No it's never been tuned. The message said that the hypertech is locked to a 2000 Camaro VIN#. It doesnt matter anyways, Ill just get it tuned next month when I get my heads and cam put in. THanks for all the help guys.

Thread Information