Red
    1998 Formula

HP Tuners vs Headers

My buddy is debating on getting HP Tuners or headers for 98 TA. Which would be bigger bang for the buck. All he currently has us flowmaster muffler, and previous owner had some head work done (not sure what). He is most likely going to get air lid and bellows and possibly new dif and gears. He also is going to remove EGR. We would be splitting the cost of the tuner because I have a 98 Formula. Thanks for any input.

I personally would go with Hptuner,,,it's the first thing I bought for mine. I knew I would be tinkering with the car progressively so software to tune the car properly just made sense to me.

On my car which was bone stock at the time. Simply tuning it with mild changes and learning along the way I widdled the ET .3 tenths and gained 3 mph as a result.

For comparison sake,,,I installed long tube headers and off road Y pipe after the fact and only dropped 1 tenth and gained only 1 mph.

If you plan on removing EGR, Cats, major exhaust changes, heads, camshaft,,,all these things will require the tune to be touched up. Doing it all at once and having it tuned is one thing,,,,,,,but doing it a little at a time would make taking the car to be tuned a little annoying after a while.

Thread Information