Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Tuners?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

HP Tuners?

Hey guys, well i havent been on in over a week because my computer crashed. Well my dad just bought me a new laptop (sony vaio) and im wondering what programer i shud buy to tune the bird. I have heard nothing but good things about HP Tuners, but is LS1 edit as good and EFI Live?? What would u recomend. Thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i've compared the ls1edit to the hptuners side by side. IMO the hptuners is easier to read and understand. and can do more things with it. which is why i have hptuners.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Can't go wrong with hptuners...more supported vehicles, custom operating systems, more licenses up front for the same or less $
    Support for HPTuners

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I started with LS1Edit and at that time its was the only program to use. But since then I have switched to HPTuners for my tuning program and still use EFILive for my scanner.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

thanks, ill order it sometime nxt week

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Another vote here for HP Tuners.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2000 z28 Camaro

I was thinking about maybe buying hptuners but I am wondering how much technical skills you must have to be able to effectivley run this system and others like it.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Not to be a jerk or nothing, but u must know A LOT. Way to much stuff and tables to tune and u gotta know whats what and where to tune. I just watched my friends, and spent some time on HPtuners.com

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes, there is a huge learning curve associated with a full tuning suite.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Cana tuning noob ( i mean complete nooby) like myself figure out how to use hptuners.....
    Plz hold the bashing i know its coming....
    I would like to get it and try and figure it out but not sure if its gonna be EXTREMELY over my head or what

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

We can't determine if you'll figure it out or not...in the end its up to you and the time you spend learning.

Here's a good thread about what your looking for though
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178

Hopefully it'll help with your decision.

-Bill

Another Black
    02 Z28

Take your time and baby step. As for tuners it's all about the features you want. The top 4 tuners in no particular order are are HPTuners, TunerCATS, LS1Edit, and EFILive. There is also FULLspectrum Tuner from Jet performance but don't know anyone with it. Go to each of the websites and see what each actually offers and decide from there. Compare prices and features to what you want to do. I personally chose EFILive V2, because of the multiple inputs(Even has 2 K-temp inputs), and it has the versatility of both a handheld when you want a handheld and a laptop when you want that. Anyone can do tuning, if you just take your time ask questions and back up often. Screwing with a car computer works just the same as messing with your regular computer the only difference is if you trash your PC you can't check your email, trash your ECM, you can't go to work. Just remember what I first said. Take your time and baby step.
    The incredible X

Hey Frank, I know what you are going through. Although I have tuned cars for over 30 years (carbs and distributors) on dynos etc...looking at it through a computer has been a huge step for me.
    For many years I have been reluctant to buy a car with a computer and I'm still not a big fan of technoligy but I decided to jump in and get my feet wet.
    I bought HPtuner as recommended by several people here. I have to admit there are a ton of tables to look at. Knowing what does what is a guessing game for me. I ask alot of questions and most people are very helpfull. Although I have found that some of my newby questions go unanswered Just the way it goes I guess.

Some of the tables are hard to understand, and there are mathmatics involved to figure some things out, some tables cross over to other tables etc...but none of this is explained, and the HPtuner setup doesn't come with a book, although I wish it did. There are plenty of answers on HPtuner website to get you started, but it never answered all of my questions and I still struggle with it here and there.
    I have searched book stores for a tuner book on GM products but haven't found anything. I see them for Chrysler and Ford and even the foreign crap,,,,but nothing for GM for some reason. I thought it would help give me some insight on the tuning processes and what certain graphs do,,,but no luck.
    I still don't know how to work alot of things on HPtuner. I am still playing with datalogging and somehow you can change perimeters and what you log, but like I said I am not a computer person. It would help me greatly to have someone sit down with me so I can watch how some things work. It's hard to get someone to do that though.
    All I can say from one newb to another, is take it slow and play around with the simple stuff first. I for instance played with fan settings for a while to work with a cooler thermostat, once I got comfortable with reflashing and found some temps that work for me,,,I moved on to the transmission and torque management and so on and so forth. I am just now beginning to play with the engine fueling and timing curves and learning how to datalog LTFT's and what the numbers mean and how changes affect that. It's frustrating at times but I am seeing small improvements in the car.
    Goodluck and hope it works out for you. If there are any questions I can answer I would be happy to try, as I know how you feel and most experienced tuners don't want to fool with a newby. Cheers. Larry.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the hardest thing to get the hang of is VE tuning. just like firebirdjones, i've been doing the whole datalogging thing on the stock motor, in an attempt to get ready for the 408.

using editing software is a learn it yourself deal. you can get limited help on the internet. but you'll have to have an ability to learn this stuff yourself. hptuners gives some help when you mouse over a table, it gives a description of what it does.

here's some screenshots i've taken to help some people out.

idle tables

pe tables

pe table specifically for WOT

and the hard one VE and MAF tables

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

fwiw those descriptions & many more are right in the help file as well www.hptuners.com/help

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

wow....I think ill leave it to the pros or go carb haha.......that shit is rediculously confusing

I know what you mean. I still love my carbed cars and don't mind getting my hands dirty at the track. Cheap and easy to tune.
    Eventually I will figure it out, just have to keep pecking away at it. Maybe then I will grow to like it. Larry.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Hehe.....How much did it cost u for ur hptuners kit?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

$649.00. i got the MPVI Pro

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I know what you mean. I still love my carbed cars and don't mind getting my hands dirty at the track. Cheap and easy to tune.
    I get alot of people saying just the opposite...usually guys 50+ that are just no longer enthused about having to get dirty or wake up the next morning with a backache and I can't say I disagree with them...for many its a way to extend their passion for cars since you can sit in the drivers seat & do the work...just less blood & sweat...the tears sometimes stay though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information