Red
    1998 Trans am A4 Ws7

How can i tell this car has been tuned

i just bought my 98 ta with some bolt ons... hoping it has been tuned , but not sure how can i see before i waste 500 + dollars

No way to visually tell. You may have to try hooking up a scanner and see what things are doing, like when the fans are kicking on, etc....if anything looks abnormal it could have been messed with. At that point you may have to try scanning with HPtuners or EFI Live and see if you can download and save the tune? Here is where your problems might start,,,,

Most tuners will lock the computer after a custom tune to stop access from others,,,,so if you want to make changes your in trouble. If thats the case, I have a buddy that sent his computer out to a mail order tuner and they unlocked and removed the tune, reinstalled a stock tune and sent it back for somewhere in the $100 range. Your other option would be to find the original tuner, and see if that shop still has your stock tune and have them reflash it to unlock it,,,,or just always go to them to have future tuning work done.

I don't know if there are other options or not, someone more knowledgable on this will chime in. Hopefully your not locked out.

Red
    1998 Trans am A4 Ws7

thanks.. is there any obvious changes i can notice by how the car reacts to something like shift points.. its an a4 with a jet power shift enhancer

Don't know what a Jet power shift enhancer is,,,,,some sort of shift kit installed inside the trans? Sorry I don't use Jet stuff to know.

Anyway,,,if the shifts are harsher than normal, higher than normal etc...there is a good chance someone has messed around with the line pressure and shift points in the tune.

If it's been done mechanically with a shift kit,,,then it's hard to tell if the tune has been messed with.

Does the car have bolt ons like long tubes headers and an off road Y-pipe? If so the rear 02's have been removed from the equation,,,and if you don't see simulators under the car, then they have been tuned out. Rear gear change in the car would also require playing with the speed sensor in the tune. I am just throwing stuff out there. I would hook a handheld scanner up to it and see what things look like,,,,or the easiest thing to do is ask the previous owner you bought it from?

Red
    1998 Trans am A4 Ws7

thats the problem he doesnt know either..lol this is why i never buy anything already modded .. a hand held scanner... like a problem code finder.. confused??? the car has a electronic stage adjuster shift kit located in center console where u can turn a dial and choose stock/1/2/3 on the shift hardness..

Car has hooker long tubes w/ oxygen senson, y pipe, full 3 " back to hooker muffler, 3.73 gears, speedo is off shows 80 mph when im only doin 55, k&n open air filter, slp maf, free mods,nos

thats bout all i know of

Does the car still have the converters on that Y-pipe?

Okay, I have seen those electronic transmission shift adjusters, B&M used to make those. If that is installed I would venture to say it doesn't have a tune in it,,,,since a custom tuner would almost surely play with transmission setting and line pressure, which would make that tranny adjuster useless/or not necessary.

Still not a sure fire way to tell though.

Your speedo is off as I am sure you are aware because of the gear change. If the speedo is off I would say the stock tune is still in place. Still a guess though.

Yes I am talking about a hand held scanner. I use one from MAC tools and it shows things like fuel trims, temps, and just about anything else you want to know,,,although it doesn't tune or change anything, it's great for diagnosing problems and easy to carry around. Too expensive to buy for what you are trying to do. Best to find a friend that is willing to hook up a scanner or HPtuner software I guess. Maybe someone will chime in with other ideas.

Thread Information