Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Cool Getting a mail order tune from Frost but need help.

Ok, I understand the whole process for removing PCM from the car, mailng and payment. I see that it will take care of the rear O2 sensors amoung other adjustments for power. Right now I have trouble codes for the front O2's though. I am 99% certain this is from the long tube headers that are on the car. I will be including that information on my order sheet, however, will this tune remedy the SES light for all of the O2 sensors? I plan on replacing the front two with some Delcos if not. The codes for most of the sensors are for the heater circuit and one is for insufficient switching. I don't know what the tune will do with the front sensors if anything so if someone could elaborate on that I would greatly appreciate it.

On another note; the car came programmed with a Predator handheld programmer. It has the option to remove the programming and install the GM factory tune from saved data. Am I going to run into any issues since the PCM has had prior tuning? I am assuming I should upload the GM factory tune prior to sending it in.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yes...upload the factory tuning. That will let you sell the predator. If you don't the predator is useless. As far as the tune on the pcm it doesn't matter.....Frost will start with a factory tune either way. As far as your codes.....I'm not real sure how frost handles those codes. How many miles are on your O2's? I would suggest bosch 13111 sensors......they've fixed mine and many other's heater/switching codes. You are correct that those codes are because of the headers. Include all that info on your sheet for frost. He can probably change the switch points but the heater codes are most likely just due to the headers. Like I say....if you have 70-80k on those sensors it's time for new ones anyhow...get some bosch 13111's.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. I was just getting ready to respond and he beat me to it.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Word. Thanks for the quick response.

There are 60k miles on the car, I am assuming the sensors are original. Just picked up the car a few weeks ago down in Jersey. The emissions are a bit more strict here in PA. Seller must have cleared the codes right before I got there to check out the car.

That will be the first thing I do is throw in the Bosch 13111's. <-- Those are the front O2's only? I'm assuming all four are not the same part.

My rear O2's will not matter after the tune correct?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

All four sensors are the same. However, the front 2 are the only ones which communicate to the PCM for A/F demands. Your rear O2 sensors can be tuned out and have no ill-effect on performance.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

You saved me moolah! Thanks dudes. I will come back with a follow up after I get some work done.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

You'll be very pleased with the results from Frost. I would also run any concerns through Frost due to the vast experience they bring to the table. There's a survey sheet, on the Frost website, for you to complete, print it out, complete it and send along with the PCM. You'll get a quick response if you are requesting something out of the ordinary. In my case the turn around time was sent Monday AM and back on Thursday PM. You should have the same service time as you are closer than I am to them in NJ. In my case the difference was very noticeable. Actually much more enhanced driveability than I expected.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Frost is the man.

OP: Will you be joining us at GM Carlisle this year?

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    You'll be very pleased with the results from Frost. I would also run any concerns through Frost due to the vast experience they bring to the table. There's a survey sheet, on the Frost website, for you to complete, print it out, complete it and send along with the PCM. You'll get a quick response if you are requesting something out of the ordinary. In my case the turn around time was sent Monday AM and back on Thursday PM. You should have the same service time as you are closer than I am to them in NJ. In my case the difference was very noticeable. Actually much more enhanced driveability than I expected.
    I am very excited for this tune. I am trying to locate some O2 sensors close by so I can drive the car a bit and see how the SES codes change. After that I will be shipping the PCM. -I already have the survey filled out and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Frost is the man.

It's a definite possibility. Hope I can drag my old man out too. He has many camaros from several generations.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Frost is the man.

What are the dates please.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    What are the dates please.
    6/22 - 6/24

Check it... Carlisle GM Nationals - Collector Car Show and Swap Meet, Everything GM, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Oldsmobile

Camaros @ Carlisle is 6/24 - 6/26...
    Last edited by 02ultraZ; 03-08-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you register, please be sure to select LS1.com as your group affiliation.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

I agree that the turn around on the mail order tune from Frost is very quick. I too sent my pcm out on a Monday and had it at my door Friday.

Hope to see the car at GM Nats. in Carlisle!!!

Red
    98 Trans Am

i know aged lol but
    defnitly frost is the man, even took a PCM not from my car that i sent him, took my mods that i listed, and then sent me the PCM back to germany while i was over there in less then 2 or 3 weeks which for over seas is fast lol (shipping to APO overseas takes FOREVER)
    car ran great after i cleaned my MAF lol (sorry frost lol my bad) Car does very well and driven all over germanys autobahns at 100+ continuous mph's was awsome

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I didnt see anyone else add that oil from the headers could have fouled the front O2s, but regardless, I'd get the new PCM up and running, then swap them for the Bosch 13111s, they are pricey, but hopefully it'll be a 1 time thing.

Be prepared for the car to act like a damn fool when you put the new PCM in while its in "learn". So others may disagree with my method, but anytime i swapped PCMs, my car wouldn't even idle at first, it'd run about 3 seconds and die, but if i cranked it and pulsed on the gas about every three seconds, with about as much force as you'd need to rev up to 2500, it seemed to learn pretty quick and run just fine from there.

Red
    98 Trans Am

^^^^ plus one on that, my started and idle actually quite well, but once in gear, TOTAL ass bag for a couple of minutes lol had to drive it aruond at different speeds and loads so that it could figure its self out for a week or so. i had the autobahn to get the high speed runs out of it lol

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hopefully he's gotten this figured out in the last year

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

oh wow....didnt realize the age of this thread, lol

Thread Information