FAST programer????

so guys im swappin in a cam (220/220 .581/.581 114lsa). and im planning on a dyno tune in the summer. but she is my DD and i cant afford to have her down for more then the weekend. so i was readin that the fast tuner has a "tune" for cam swappin. along iwth all the other stuff like bumpin the timing and idle and all that good stuff. so i can get a fast tuner for $280. think its worth it? n will it do the trick and make her run decent with the cam in it? thanks for any info boys. oh.... other mods are L/Ts, high flow cats, big Y-pipe, flowmaster cat back, Lid, and a 85mm maf-(i know corny)

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i would say just get it dyno tuned. its not much more money and shouldnt take more than a few hours. you will also see more gains from this type of tune. Those tune in a box things kinda suck. just make sure you find a good tuner. Good Luck and enjoy your new Cam

what ya think about a mail order from lsx? then for a dyno tuner what do u think about harris speed works? any good

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i have never had a tune done by LSXtune, but i have heard VERY good things about their work. And even though i have never used them i would recommend them. I think if you had them do your tune you could then just get it dynoed and see where you stand. Prob your best bet!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

And i have never heard anything about Harris, but i doubt that the Mods would let them be a sponsor if they did crappy work.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like I said in the other thread....a handheld is not ideal for a cammed car. Will it run? Most likely. Will it run good? Maybe. There's more to a tune than idle speed and timing. Your idle air will need some work and your maf table will need some work just for starters. In order to take full advantage of your hard work and lots of money spent on the cam swap I would strongly recommend getting a good tune in there. You can maybe get by with the handheld because that's a pretty mild cam but why do all that work and spend the money to only get partial gains out of it? Save a little bit longer and get it done right the first time. I'm not familiar with HSW's tunes ( I wasn't even aware they tuned cars). I'm a big fan of Frost at lsxtune as he knows what he's doing but I'm not sure if he'd do a cam tune by mail. I'll let him answer that. You can get some references from HSW and other local tuners and that should help you make your decision pretty easily.
    Last edited by 0rion; 02-18-2009 at 11:45 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

That's a small cam. It will make good usable power, especially for a street car. If the stock MAF goes back on the car I can do a mail order tune that will get the car very close, but getting it fully tuned in front of a person with a wideband is best. If you get mail order tuning from me ($125) and decide to bring the car down here and put it on the dyno, I will credit you $100 from the mail-order against the cost of full tuning. Full tuning for your car would be $375 to $425, depending on how long we are on the dyno. Since the car gets worked on on the street first, it's typically the lower end of that pricing estimation.

yea i'll scratch the hand held idea. was just thinkin it would be a quick way to gettin it running, i knew i wouldn't get it running perfect or gettin all the power out of it. i'll shop around for a stock MAF, (it came with the 85mm) and once i get her together i'll ship down the PCM. and the dyno tune sounds like a sweet deal. i'll be headin down to wilmington NC in a month or so. so we'll try n do it then. thanks for the info frost. yea i heard good things about the cam. so frost im thinking i should feel a pretty noticeable difference since im running un tuned with all the other bolt crap. looking forward to doing business with you man.

one more question frost... so say after i get it finalized on your dyno. and down the road abit i add something like a 90/90. would you be able to update the tune via mail order? and get it rocking! or would i really need to get it on the dyno?

Thread Information