1999 Trans Am

Elevation change

I have a p1 procharged motor with 4 psi, larger injectors, and a ls1 edit programming done at a local shop. The car is currently running at over 5k feet elevation but I will be bringing the car to Dallas, TX. My question is...is it safe to drive the car the the whole way and wait to get a re-tune at sea level??

I am used to dealing with this issue with carburetors but am not sure how the ls1 edit plus supercharger would affect the EFI during the altitude change...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

does your car have a MAF or is it speed density tuned? Frost would be able to answer this better than me but I would think you'd be fine to drive it down there. I probably wouldn't get into it until you get it there and at least get the car logged to see where the tune is. Do you run a full time wideband? I would probably have more of an issue with the fact it was tuned with edit than the elevation change. Tuning software has came a long way since the days of edit. I would get it there and get it to a reputable shop as soon as you can and at least get the tune verified.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If it was tuned at 5K feet and you are moving to a significantly lower altitude, stay out of boost until you get it retuned. If you started at sea level and then went to elevation you would be ok, but not in this arrangement. If the MAF doesn't max you MAY be ok, but you are still landing in areas that were never previously reached during tuning, so no need to roll the dice.

1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the input, that's what I kind of figured. I'm new to the boards but I've already seen a lot of positive input on your work, Frost. I think I'm going to be extra gentle on the drive down and then invest in hp tuners once I get it home. Then I can get rid of the ls1 edit and we can talk about a tune by email

Thread Information