Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Egr & Air Tune Out????

Just woundering if anyone knows if it is possible to have the EGR and AIR systems in a 98 TA tuned out or turned off? I know it is possible to have the rear 02's tuned out but not sure about the EGR or AIR systems? If so does anyone know how the car will run? Better or Worse?

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I'm pretty sure it can be tuned out. I read about people doing it all the time when they go get a tune to get rid of the serv eng light. Call nelson tune I'm sure they can do it. And from what I hear they do a good job. Even will mail order tunes.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged666 View Post
    Just woundering if anyone knows if it is possible to have the EGR and AIR systems in a 98 TA tuned out or turned off? I know it is possible to have the rear 02's tuned out but not sure about the EGR or AIR systems? If so does anyone know how the car will run? Better or Worse?

Yes you can. The car will run the same, you just won't have a SES light from having them off. EGR is a bit intrusive; it sticks down into the opening of the intake. If you have questions about mail order PCM tuning feel free to give me a PM.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Does anyone know what the readiness code will look like after having all 3 tuned out (rear 02's EGR and AIR). I live in Chicago and have to go for emmissions testing every 2 years. And I know when they test cars all they do is hook up and OBD2 scanner and read the readiness code, but if you are missing the rear 02's or EGR i'm not sure if that will throw up a flag or not? Anyone in Chicago running with the rear 02's deleted ever go for an emmissions test?

hugger orange

Does anyone know what the readiness code will look like after having all 3 tuned out (rear 02's EGR and AIR). I live in Chicago and have to go for emmissions testing every 2 years. And I know when they test cars all they do is hook up and OBD2 scanner and read the readiness code, but if you are missing the rear 02's or EGR i'm not sure if that will throw up a flag or not? Anyone in Chicago running with the rear 02's deleted ever go for an emmissions test?
    Im tagged in Maryland so I have to go through emmisions too. if you are using hp tuners all you have to do is set them to (3) no error no report and you will fly strait through emissions

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Im tagged in Maryland so I have to go through emmisions too. if you are using hp tuners all you have to do is set them to (3) no error no report and you will fly strait through emissions
    That's almost the case....

that will allow them to complete, but their completion is up to you and can be a PITA. Go here to see how to make the tests complete. They are reset if your PCM is flashed or it's power is removed: http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    That's almost the case....

that will allow them to complete, but their completion is up to you and can be a PITA. Go here to see how to make the tests complete. They are reset if your PCM is flashed or it's power is removed: http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html
    Frost my hat goes off to you tuners. the more I read into HPtuners the more tylenol I have to take to keep my brain from exploding lol

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Hey Frost I got a werid problem maybe you can help with. I had you tune my ECM cause I had put LT Headers and an off road Y-Pipe on and everything was great!!! I just installed a FAST 90 intake and matching 90mm Fast TB. And everything with the engine seems to be good but the trans seems to be shifting super early?? Can't explain why putting the intake on would have any effect on the trans?? Do I need a retune to move the shift points high now. Like I said the engine runs good with the new intake, might have a little stumble here and there but nothing to bad, but i can deffinitly tell its shifting way to soon, 2nd gear come's in right at 10mph, 3rd at 18 4th at 26. Big difference from what it used to be, and i am driving no different, but i deffinitly feel a difference with the shifting now. What do you think???

hugger orange

Hey Frost I got a werid problem maybe you can help with. I had you tune my ECM cause I had put LT Headers and an off road Y-Pipe on and everything was great!!! I just installed a FAST 90 intake and matching 90mm Fast TB. And everything with the engine seems to be good but the trans seems to be shifting super early?? Can't explain why putting the intake on would have any effect on the trans?? Do I need a retune to move the shift points high now. Like I said the engine runs good with the new intake, might have a little stumble here and there but nothing to bad, but i can deffinitly tell its shifting way to soon, 2nd gear come's in right at 10mph, 3rd at 18 4th at 26. Big difference from what it used to be, and i am driving no different, but i deffinitly feel a difference with the shifting now. What do you think???
    the throttle cable is adjustable, first check to be sure you are getting full throttle (one person in car pushing pedal, one person looking at TB to be sure its opening all the way). if the computer isn't seeing full throttle it will use the "part throttle" shift tables not the "WOT" table.

hope this is your porblem, it just takes a minute to adjust!

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

The problem i am having is not at WOT. Its at light throttle but i will check the throttle body cable make sure it is all adjusted right.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll let Frost answer it more complete but I *think* my thinking is correct. The tranny uses load from the MAF for shift pressures and I *think* shift times. I would think that your problem could be related to the new intake and TB sucking so much air that your MAF needs retuned. Like I say, Frost will clear it up but that's my thinking.

You can tune out the egr and air on the 98's. I personally wouldn't remove the egr until you had the egr spark table zero'd out. On mine when I removed the EGR I started getting all kinds of tip in knock retard until I fixed that table. Hptuners made it easy with that egr table...back when I done it I was using ls1edit and had to do it all by hand.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Hey thanks for the advice Orion. Yea it might sound like it could be a problem with the MAF needing a retune. With the new TB, it is now alot closer to the MAF sensor. There used to be about 3 inchs of tubing between the MAF and stock TB now there is about 1 inch with the FAST TB. So I guess the new Intake and TB can be sucking air alot faster in now. As for the EGR and AIR I had Frost tune that all out a year ago and I removed it all when I did my LT headers and ORY pipe. Never had a problem with any codes or engine issues since then. Thanks for the advice.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Well I talked with Frost and he this is not a tuning issue, it's a setup issue somewhere along the ine. Items to check would be, making sure that your TB blade opens fully at WOT and that you see 4.5-4.7ish VDC from the TPS at WOT. Also verify with a scan tool that you are seeing 100% from the TPS at WOT. Shift points have nothing to do with the MAF fortunately. So I guess I am gunna check the TPS. I'll let you all know my results.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

just saw this, been a VERY busy week getting caught up...

I sent you an email back to the one you sent with details. In the email you sent, you didn't say it wasn't WOT though that you had issues. Part throttle shifts are decided by TPS% and MPH. If they have changed, something related to the two of those has.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Ok so did some checks on the TA today to figure out what the hell is going on. Checked the throttle cable and watched the throttle blade open from idle to WOT. Everything with that was fine throttle blade opened fully at WOT. Hooked up scanner, had no fault codes, readiness was set. Looked at TPS %. At idle we had 0.4% and at WOT we 100.0% everything looking fine there. Went back under the hood and back probed TPS and checked voltage. At idle we had 0.46V and at WOT we had 4.56V. Still everything looking good but the auto tranny is still shifting like shit since the new intake swap???? Also checked for any kind of intake vacuum leaks with carb spray. Sprayed intire intake down while looking for a change in RPM. No change at all. What gives??? Tranny is still shifting way to early and alot softer then what it used to before the swap. Any other ideas on what I should check Frost????

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Just a thought..might it could be something totally unrelated to the Fast install that just so happened at the same time?

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Well I guess I could always throw the LS1 intake and throttle body back on and see if it runs any different. This is just starting to be a big pain in the ass.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Just swapped the LS1 intake back on and everything is great now. Shift points are back to normal. Anyone herd of the FAST 90mm TB having problems?? I thought i ran acroos a thread along time ago saying how much they sucked, more problems then there worth?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have not seen this before, but if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen to a 98. Are you sure there were no codes present during this behavior even if they were not setting a light?

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

No fault codes at all. Scanned the ECM many times no codes came up. Reset readiness code a couple times also and it reset without throwing any codes. Werid. All the readings I took were on the money but now that I got the old LS1 intake back on there the trans is shifting like it was before the swap of the 90mm FAST. I'm still stumped about this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information