black
    1998 Camaro SS

does this sound like a tuning problem....

98 ss, heads/cam/intake/headers/42# injectors/tr6 plugs/msd wires. had a mail order tune done by bill wright out of columbus, OH. bc i was gonna take car to him to dynotune after it was all ready......the car ran pretty decent on the mail order tune for about a month and then started like missing when i accelerated like it was getting flooded by gas....i figure its running really rich and bc it smells like gas really bad and gets absolutely terrible gas mileage. i mean its so bad that if u stand behind the exhaust it will spray you with black shit.......anyway when u first start it up and drive it doesnt miss (but does have a lack of power) but then after a couple minutes it will start missing and ill have to take foot off gas and then push peddle over halfway down for it to accelerate without missing but still has no power. i have do this the whole time (foot on gas, foot off, foot on, etc..) until u drive the car for bout 15 min then it runs fine (as in it wont studder but still has no power and runs real rich) but as soon as u shut the car off even if for 5 seconds and start it back up and drive it will miss again until u drive for 15 more min. Does this sound like its the computer and a tuning issue?? bc i figure if it was something mechanical it would be constant and not come and go like that. i know if hasnt had full tune yet, but the car should run fine with the mail order tune right? i know it wont be at full potential but at least driveable. sorry its so long but i wanted to give the full story. by the way the engine light is on for 02 sensors but i replaced them before and it stayed on, mail order tune tuned out rear o2's.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If it ran good for a month on the calibration then you need to look towards issues with the car.

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

Agree with Frost sounds as though you might have an issue with something other then the tuning, Im wondering if the mail order tune has you running so fat that you might be fouling the plugs or migth have ruined the front 02's. Have you pulled any plugs to look at thier condition? Probably need to get that sorted out then get it on a wideband see how its running
    Last edited by MYSCZ06; 08-12-2009 at 03:15 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by MYSCZ06 View Post
    Agree with Frost sounds as though you might have an issue with something other then the tuning, Im wondering if the mail order tune has you running so fat that you might be fouling the plugs or migth have ruined the front 02's. Have you pulled any plugs to look at thier condition? Probably need to get that sorted out then get it on a wideband see how its running
    it's not incredibly likely... once the car is up to 100deg or so, it's correcting itself so (to a degree) it doesn't matter what is in the tune as it will always trim out to stoich or close.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

so if it is running rich and fouling o2's i will needto buy new 02 sensors and new plugs and then drive it to get tuned? the problem is my tuner is an hour away....will the new sensors be fouled by the time i getthere?

Thread Information