Thread: diablo predator

white

diablo predator

I m interested in buying one to turn my 2002 ss auto. im going to run 150 shot. can i pull the timing? also how much harder will it shit? can i monitor knock counts?

TNT
    I like the predator but I only bought it to correct for knock retard problems and set my speedometer after a gear change. I had problems with both but the tech support was good. You can monitor the knock retard in real time but I believe it is only shown in degrees. I'm not sure what you mean by counts?

With the 150 shot I don't think you will be able to add to the timing and you will likely have to shave some or the knock sensor will eat up hp. I'm refering to the typical timing added by the programmer. I guess that really depends on the car but with California fuel I had to pull timing just to keep mine from pinging. The best way is to take it to a tuner with a good dyno. Don't we all wish we had friends like that.

IMO the predator does the job.

white

i was wondering if i could add timing with the performance tune and then from 4k-7k take out the max timing which it says is 20%. where would that put me as in degree of timing. also did you say you can see how much timing is being taken out in real time with the diablo.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by cjg454ss
    ... also how much harder will it shit?
    Interesting choice of word for the Diablo, and pretty accurate. Don't waste your money on it.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by cjg454ss
    i was wondering if i could add timing with the performance tune and then from 4k-7k take out the max timing which it says is 20%. where would that put me as in degree of timing. also did you say you can see how much timing is being taken out in real time with the diablo.
    Yeah you can take out timing from the performance tune but I think it is thoughout the rpm range. Mine had a problem prior to getting the tuner due to the 91 octane fuel in California so I had to take timing out even before installing the perfomance tune. It shows how much timing is being removed when the knock sensor starts picking up detonation. I spent half a day changing the programing to get it to the point that it would not pull timing during a run. Tech support helped me with the process and they were pretty good about walking me through the steps. I had to by the computer connection for the tuner so plan on it if you go that route.

I would have to agree with most of the other people on the board that a pro tuner with a Dyno would be the way to go when your spraying but but I could not find a good one locally so I went with what I could use without having a laptop and the time to learn a tuner program.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The predator is good for a bolt-on car....anything more than that i'd get hptuners(if you have a laptop) or a dyno tune. I have a predator and I like it...but i'm lightly modded.

white

Quote Originally Posted by TNT
    Yeah you can take out timing from the performance tune but I think it is thoughout the rpm range. Mine had a problem prior to getting the tuner due to the 91 octane fuel in California so I had to take timing out even before installing the perfomance tune. It shows how much timing is being removed when the knock sensor starts picking up detonation. I spent half a day changing the programing to get it to the point that it would not pull timing during a run. Tech support helped me with the process and they were pretty good about walking me through the steps. I had to by the computer connection for the tuner so plan on it if you go that route.

I would have to agree with most of the other people on the board that a pro tuner with a Dyno would be the way to go when your spraying but but I could not find a good one locally so I went with what I could use without having a laptop and the time to learn a tuner program.
    so i can run a performance tune all day , and then go to the track and pull some timing when i hit the nos. thats all im looking for. also how many degrees does the performance tune add timing wise and how much can you take out from it.

TNT
    It is set up to adjust about 2 degrees + or - but you can take 2 degrees out or add it then save the tune on your computer and reset the predator so that it thinks it has never put the tune in. This will allow you to take another 2 degrees out on top of what you had already done. This won't work for using it on multiple cars because it saves the car data except of the setting I think. I had to take out about 3 degrees of timing due to detonation. Tech support walked me through the process. I simplified it somewhat but that is the long and the short of it.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

When you say pull timing do you mean go negative?

Thread Information