anniversary red
    2003 corvette

Computer Tuned But Will Not Idle?

Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

I Just Picked My Car Up From The Speed Shop. I Had A Cam 238/238
    Installed, Heads 586/586 Cfm,lifters,rods, Rockers, Springs, Headers, High Flow Cats, X Pipes And Corsa Indy Exhaust. They Set All The Peramiters And Dyno Tuned It, However When I Picked It Up They Said The Idle Will Settle Down Once The Computer Learns The Consistancy Of The New Parameters??
    The Idle Will Stay Around 12oo Rpm When I Put The Clutch In At A Stop Then About 3 Seconds Later It Goes Down To 900 Rpm. But When I Turn The Air Cond. On The Idle Races To 1900 Rpm And Will Not Come Back Down Unless I Turn The Air Back Off, When Driving And Going Thru The Gears The Idle Comes Down To Slow Inbetween Shifting On Normal Driving.
    I Am A Little Confused, Im Being Told The Computer Has To Learn The New Parameters Before The Idle Will Settle Down, But Shouldnt New Perameters Take Affect Right Away Once It Is Programed???

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes of idling to "learn" the new parameters.

Take it back, your base running airflow is too high for starters.

Idle tuning (properly) is a LONG procedure. I've been working on mine for months. I've probably gone through 40 or more idle tunes. And it still isn't dead on.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by silverTA2002
    Idle tuning (properly) is a LONG procedure. I've been working on mine for months. I've probably gone through 40 or more idle tunes. And it still isn't dead on.
    thats the key...if you think any person/shop is going to take weeks tuning someones idle to perfection your out of your mind. Its just not feasible for most.

anniversary red
    2003 corvette

i took the car out sunday and had to go down the expressway for 30 miles and ended up in a traffic jam. car was stuck at 2000 rpm while sitting still or at a crawl for about 15 min, once i got off the expressway it settled down to 800 rpm for the rest of the day.
    but comeing to a stop it will go down to 1200 rpm and about 3 second later it then comes down to 800 rpm, should i expect this to be as good as it gets. since being on the expressway that day it hasnt raced at 2000 rpm. ill cross my fingers

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

no...you probably have some throttle cracker/follower issues but im not sure how easy a fix it will be. Was this cam recommened to you by your tuner?

anniversary red
    2003 corvette

yes this was thier stage 2 package, heads and cam were matched to run with each other. they claim they have done alot of these. they had a big write up in the corevette fever magazine for thier extensive research on mods.
    so idleing at 1200 then dropping down to 800 3 sec later is not correct, with such a agressive cam?at 800 rpm she is really cammin out any lower it would stall.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

if they endorse a specific setup for street/strip use they should make it pretty drivable on the street.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If your still running a stock throttle body then you need to take the idle screw out and flip it over so it will raise the idle a little bit on it. When GMMG tuned my car it was like that. I said can we fix it and he said we just need to flip over the idle screw and that will fix it. MIne works great. Between that and you might need to open the hole up on the blade to give it a little more air idling with the blade closed.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

03 vette fly by wire no set screw that I know of.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    03 vette fly by wire no set screw that I know of.
    Damn didn't pay attn to what vehicle it was. The only thing I could think of would be the hole in the blade.

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 50anv03
    yes this was thier stage 2 package, heads and cam were matched to run with each other. they claim they have done alot of these. they had a big write up in the corevette fever magazine for thier extensive research on mods.
    so idleing at 1200 then dropping down to 800 3 sec later is not correct, with such a agressive cam?at 800 rpm she is really cammin out any lower it would stall.
    No it's not correct.

Your IAC counts could be too high. You could have too much RAF. Your Throttle cracker could be set too high. You could have too much timing in off idle regions. It could be all of the above.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

in short, take it back..if they cant tune their own packages, they dont need to be advertising them! PERIOD! Running a cam that big, your bound to have idle and surging issues. The cruise effect (staying at about 2k) is your idle. Sounds like the IAC counts are too high..hard to determine whats wrong without a log though. They should take care of the customer, no ands ifs or buts!
    Nino

Thread Information