Thread: chip vs. tune

Snake Eater

chip vs. tune

how much does a chip actually help? would tuning the car with say a dyno or ls1 edit be good enough? would a stock ls1 w/ chip and cutout in stock exhaust vs. ls1 w/ lid, catback,cutout and headers NO tune be about an even race or w/ the chipped ls1 losing by a tad bit?

The reason why I ask is because i raced a friend of mine. i only started to pull a little during 4th.. i hope it's not my car messing up..
    Last edited by Snake Eater; 10-04-2005 at 12:17 AM.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

ls1's are flash based not chip based...as far as how much a handheld programmer will help you its hard to say...especially considering it sounds like you have an m6.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

long tubes add about 35rwhp on average..and a lid with the FRA mod probably adds another 15 at the wheels...so yea a ls1 with those mods would walk a ls1 with just a cutout. I wouldn't get a dyno tune if I were you unless you have at least full bolt-ons, i.e. headers, lid, free mods...etc

Which ls1 are you..the one with the tune and cut out?

Snake Eater
    I am the LS1 with headers, ory, catback, and lid but without a tune. My friend owns the LS1 w/ stock exhaust, cutout, and a chip.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    long tubes add about 35rwhp on average..and a lid with the FRA mod probably adds another 15 at the wheels...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

how would you know, you drive a V6

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    how would you know, you drive a V6

my last car was this www.geocities.com/foff667 and when was the last time you saw a car that gained 35hp from headers alone? So um and come back when your out of diapers
    Last edited by foff667; 10-14-2005 at 03:48 PM.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    I wouldn't get a dyno tune if I were you unless you have at least full bolt-ons, i.e. headers, lid, free mods...etc
    That is not true - a good dyno tune can help you at any time during your modding process, whether you are stock or pushing 500 hp.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    That is not true - a good dyno tune can help you at any time during your modding process, whether you are stock or pushing 500 hp.
    True but it depends on your plans with the car...if you plan on doing more mods its probably wise to wait until you do a cam to get a "dyno tune" rather then spend several hundred dollars several times on tunes...or at least get yourself some software to tune yourself. Also the problem with tuning a stock car is the cats...cuz you really run the risk of killing the cats early if you try to lean out the a/f too much...in which case your pretty much just gonna mess with fueling very little, some timing changes and shift points in an auto car...usually not much else. I usually tell people at least get some Headers so it makes me work for my money lol.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Stock LS1 from the factory is tuned to meet CAFE and EPA bullshit and is tuned "down".....a dyno tune on a 100% stock LS1 will gain not only RWHP it will perform throughout the RPM range much stronger....bottom line is a dyno tune is well worth the money and I highly recommend one for a stock or modded car to fully realize the power you have that needs to be "let out".....
    As for the originators specific question....A handheld tune will work....a dyno tune will rock.....I liken the two by the Internet sex versus the real thing analogy.....
    And the gentlemen who posted above here is right on the money from a Cost Effectiveness perspective....plan your mods and tune accordingly to maximize return on investment....

Thread Information