NBM
    1999 Trans Am

Question Check engine trouble

Ok...I have to get my car inspected soon and my check engine light is on. I ran an OBD II on it and the list of 7 codes came up in this order...P0133 (HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1)...P0135(HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1)...P0138(HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2)...P0158(HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank2 Sensor 2)...P1133(HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1)...P0133(HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1)...P1133(HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1)...It might help if I tell ya'll what is done to the vehicle also along with the yr. It is a 99 Trans Am...only perfomance mods that I have is volant cold air induction, hypertech programer III, longtube headers with custom 3" y-pipe w/o cats...I do have O2 sims which seem to not work sometimes as you see. I have had the headers on for a little over a yr. I just need some help or advice on what I could do or check or if I could erase the codes. Also, the other month I drove it and there was no heat coming out even at all 4 levels of the fan. I guess this is what happens when I don't drive it hardly.

You have an awfull lot of codes pointing to bank 1 sensor 1,,,,,which is the driver side front 02 sensor I believe.

It sounds to me it's time for a pair of front 02 sensors.

Are any of those codes old by chance??? You could clear them all then go for a drive and see which codes come back???

But if those are original front 02 sensors, with 50,000 miles or so,,,,I would look into replacing them anyway. I would suspect your gas mileage may have been suffering a little??

Hope that helps.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You have an awfull lot of codes pointing to bank 1 sensor 1,,,,,which is the driver side front 02 sensor I believe.

It sounds to me it's time for a pair of front 02 sensors.

Are any of those codes old by chance??? You could clear them all then go for a drive and see which codes come back???

But if those are original front 02 sensors, with 50,000 miles or so,,,,I would look into replacing them anyway. I would suspect your gas mileage may have been suffering a little??

Hope that helps.
    Yeah it has the original O2's on it and with almost 72K...so I'll give that a try with deleting the codes and replacing them. About the gas mileage...i couldn't even tell you b/c i wouldn't even know. thanks for helping me out and i'll keep posted up on everything.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

keep in mind that even with new sensors those codes may not completely go away. The heater and switching codes are common with headers. You could try switching to vette rear sensors which have had mixed results in curing this problem. I have a set in the garage I'll be putting in this spring to see for myself. I've had heater codes off and on since my header install a few years ago. The bosch part number for the vette rears is 13111.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    keep in mind that even with new sensors those codes may not completely go away. The heater and switching codes are common with headers. You could try switching to vette rear sensors which have had mixed results in curing this problem. I have a set in the garage I'll be putting in this spring to see for myself. I've had heater codes off and on since my header install a few years ago. The bosch part number for the vette rears is 13111.
    Thanks for that Orion,,,,now those 13111 part numbers are for the longer wiring sensors,,,so extension harness is not necessary,,,correct??

I haven't experienced any heater codes or switching problems with mine yet,,,,but my headers have only been on since mid summer. Car is parked in the winter months now though. My sensors were practically new though when I did the headers.
    I would guess that older sensors with higher mileage would be more lazy,,,and moving them further down stream could cause some problems.

Or maybe I have just been lucky for once,,,,,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

right, they have the longer harness and I would bet that newer sensors don't have near the problems as the sensors with miles on them. My sensors have many miles on them, they should've been replaced long ago.

Okay,,,I'm making a sticky for that part number for future 02 replacement,,,,thanks

So a new sensor would help in that situation????? Shucks I was really beginning to think I was truely lucky silly me.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am

Well today I erased the codes and drove it around for awhile, I made sure that I got on it a few times. When I was on my way home that's when the check engine light came on...again. I plugged the OBD II up to it and only 2 codes came up...P1133(Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering), this code came up twice....Now on this site under OBD II codes link it says that P1133(Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1)....What do ya'll think is up?

Quote Originally Posted by tals199 View Post
    Well today I erased the codes and drove it around for awhile, I made sure that I got on it a few times. When I was on my way home that's when the check engine light came on...again. I plugged the OBD II up to it and only 2 codes came up...P1133(Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering), this code came up twice....Now on this site under OBD II codes link it says that P1133(Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1)....What do ya'll think is up?
    Thats a lazy 02 sensor on the driver side front sensor.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

change both always; don't just get one.

Thread Information