Black
    2000 SS Camaro

Car is throwing P0101 code

Hey everyone this is my first post here and i've been having this annoying issue with the 2000 ss camaro. One day i drove my car to work and everything was fine and when i went to leave it started up sounding very funny and it kept feeling like it wanted to shut off on me and had a huge loss of power. I got it home and tried to start it up again in my driveway and with the car just sitting at idle it was running really rough and the rpm's would keep dipping below 1000 rpm's and bouncing all around until it would eventually shut off on me. At this point it was not throwing a code. I could hear the fuel pump kick so figured that was not the issue but seemed like it was a fuel issue so i replaced the fuel filter but still no fix. I tried to work on it again the next day and it finally did begin to throw a code and when i pulled the code it was the P0101 code "MAF circuit range/performance problem." So i decided to pull the maf and see if it was dirty and tried cleaning it carefully with crc maf cleaner and still no fix. I actually even pulled the maf plug and tried starting it without it plugged in and still no change in how it was acting. So i decided to buy a new ac delco brand maf sensor and yet again it did not solve my issue. Now the car did have a small knock in the engine area since i bought it so i was hoping that something hasn't finally given in the motor. I just figured that if something did finally give it would be really loud and possibly not start at all. A buddy told me it could possibly be a bent push rod cuz he told me they are known to bend pretty easily in these cars but i haven't been beating on it. The car is completely stock. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

here, hopefully this helps point you in the right direction man, sorry i don't have anything else for ya

P0101 Trouble Code - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

I would look for a air leak, check the PVC hoses near the throttle body. Some of them like to get cracks in them near the heads.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

Black
    2000 SS Camaro

I inspected the hoses but could not really find any cracks at all. Could i possibly have bent a pushrod and could that maybe cause my rough idling and causing it to throw a p0101 code? It's kinda funny cuz with my car being all stock it sounds like i have a cam in it with how it's running now.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

did you check the air hoses that run under the cowl? that's where mine cracked and was leaking from. Mine would run like shit, than be fine, run like shit then fine again. It would damn near choke out at lights. I brought mine down to a shop due to too much training going on for me to get into it and they found it and replaced the hoses that were bad for under 250.

Black
    2000 SS Camaro

Ok well i finally got the problem resolved and it turned out to be a broken valve spring. I found that to be kind of a strange thing to finally snap on me since i haven't been beating on it or revving it high. But I guess it's hard to say how hard the person before me ran it. But thanks again for all of those who commented.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

glad to hear that you got it all figured out man

Black
    2000 SS Camaro

Yea thanks for all the help. Now just tryin to figure out what kind of exhaust set-up i wanna do. Was debating on the slp loudmouth 1 or 2. I'm thinkin i'm leaning more towards the loudmouth 1.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

check the signiature, love my setup!

Thread Information