NBM M6
    2000 SS

Calibrating gauges.............

Not sure if I am in the right spot. But, I went to a local speed shop to put in white face gauges. Needles to say the messed everything up. All my gauges are off and they could not put it back right. I just left.

That being said, does anyone know a link on how to calibrate the gauges to be right.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They should have marked where the gages were before they removed the OEM gages and put the new gages on. They probably put the needles back on in the wrong position on the new overlay white faced gages. I'm interested to what people say about this one.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

How do you spell gauges-sp? Anyway they did not mark shit and all the needles were off. Two of them were stuck and did not move at all. I found out that there is a tool called a pointer depth gauge you put that under the needle so it is not put on too deep. But still looking for anyone that can direct me to a link for this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Free bump..and I see it spelled "gages" and "gauges" all the time. "Gage" is a variant spelling of "gauge" and the two may be used interchangeably. I use gage because it is quicker to type

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You can't fix them, and it's not the shops fault. EVERY CAR with those horrid things reads wrongly, regardless of if they are marked before hand and observed. If someone tells you that theirs is good, they haven't looked at them beside a data logger yet. I am serious; I never have a week go by without seeing a car like this.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    You can't fix them, and it's not the shops fault. EVERY CAR with those horrid things reads wrongly, regardless of if they are marked before hand and observed. If someone tells you that theirs is good, they haven't looked at them beside a data logger yet. I am serious; I never have a week go by without seeing a car like this.
    So your telling me they cant be calibrated? And they way they were before I took it to the speed shop, by them moving everything is not their fault? I dont get it? They moved the needles, and the rpm's and the speedo read wrong, there is no way to fix it? How does chevy dealerships calibrate them?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'm saying that it doesn't seem to matter who installs them, they all read wrongly after the fact. You can mark and line up and re-install, but they just get messed up when people do this mod. Many cars even get a little shake to the speedo needle. Some are closer than others, but none are right all over. They aren't mechanical devices that need calibration; they get serial data from the PCM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can mark the needle position all you want, as soon as you take the needles off, the shaft can move around. Most of the needles rest on a peg when the key is off. The peg keeps the needles from spinning backward further.
    Chevy dealers don't calibrate needles. if there is a problem with the cluster they sell you a new/remanufactured one.

Thread Information