Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Exclamation Bosch Platinum +4's bad for My SS ?

Hi Guys/Gals,

I recently put a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my 2001 Camaro SS (54,000 miles now). It runs super after putting them in and also putting in a set of Taylor 10.4 MM racing wires. A few weeks later I hear from 1 guy at a local auto parts store that they can possibly cause cylinder wall damage, and a mechanic at another shop told me that I may soon start to see a dramatic decrease in power, as they do not work well in F-Body's for some reason. He said the 4 electrodes at the end of the plug block the air/fuel mixture from reaching the spark. He said his '97 Z-28 took very badly to these plugs and he had to take them out after about 200 miles when he noticed a serious decrease in power. Putting in a different kind of plug fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any info they care to share about these plugs? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Tom

black
    01 camaro ss

From what i've heard, platinum sparkplugs should be one of the first things to replace. Specially if you run a turbo or supercharger. The plantinum on the sparkplugs runs hotter than regular sparkplugs wich you will have a better chance for detonation. I'm trying to do some more researche on this also.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The LS1 isn't high enough compression to worry about the hot platinum causing detonation. You'll be fine

Black
    1995 Z28

I wouldnt recoomend putting Bosch in a gm car personally I think they are sh!t. But thtas just me

yea go with tr55's gapped at .50 or if youre gonna go nitrous get some tr6's, dont put those bosch's in a sports car!
    D'Agostino Racing.Com
    954-583-8884
    877-DRI-POWER
    Specializing in Late Model GM and Ford Sports Cars

Red
    1998 WS6

i have a 98' ws6 I put the platinum 4's in its ran gret for 3000+ miles sofar. It was a bitch to replace though.

Stay away from Bosch on a GM car.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

I got Platinum Bosch2 in my car Should I change these plugs out when Do my headers in a month or so or will they be okay for right now when Im just doing bolt-ons.

Black
    1995 Z28

im sure they will be fine just dnt put them back in

i had trouble with bosch plats porcelin center coming apart,i'm not the only one who had this happen.i wonder just where that broken porcelin went? i hope out the exhaust.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by dkishton1486
    I wouldnt recoomend putting Bosch in a gm car personally I think they are sh!t. But thtas just me
    why
    Quote Originally Posted by DRI_Rob
    dont put those bosch's in a sports car!
    why
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKLE57
    Stay away from Bosch on a GM car.
    why
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
    i had trouble with bosch plats porcelin center coming apart,i'm not the only one who had this happen.i wonder just where that broken porcelin went? i hope out the exhaust.
    thanks for the reasoning, it helps us understand why you give the answer you give. Without any personal reasoning behind an answer I tend to think that someone "heard something somewhere" and wants to look like the smart guy and jump in with an answer

I put +4s in my 97 at 101,000. at 178,000ish they were finally changed again when the opti went out and everything got replaced at the same time. Never had trouble with them in my personal experiences. this porcelin center coming apart is new news to me, I'd like to see if I can find out more.

For the record though, I don't have them in my LS1, I went with ngk.

Black
    1995 Z28

They make our cars and all GM cars run like shit. They are worthless and I just dont recommend puttng them in at all

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by dkishton1486
    They make our cars and all GM cars run like shit. They are worthless and I just dont recommend puttng them in at all
    WHY. what's wrong with them, they have to do something to make all gm cars run like shit. whats so perfectly wrong with them that they target gm cars? that's some precision shittiness by bosch to target specific makes of cars like that. you havn't given me a reason why yet, you have merely given a vague opinion. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but without reasoning behind what you say it is nothing more than an opinion, and your opinion only means you think they're shitty, it doesn't mean they are actually shitty

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    why

why

why

thanks for the reasoning, it helps us understand why you give the answer you give. Without any personal reasoning behind an answer I tend to think that someone "heard something somewhere" and wants to look like the smart guy and jump in with an answer

I put +4s in my 97 at 101,000. at 178,000ish they were finally changed again when the opti went out and everything got replaced at the same time. Never had trouble with them in my personal experiences. this porcelin center coming apart is new news to me, I'd like to see if I can find out more.

For the record though, I don't have them in my LS1, I went with ngk.
    our 88 TA started missing after we installed a set of bosch plats,i started pulling the plugs out looking for a problem.one plug had all the center porcelin missing,just the electrode standing there alone.i did a google search about it,i found many others had the same thing happen,even found out that if you send the bad plug into bosch they will send you a comp set of plugs.i think i'll use another brand

red
    2000 trans am ws6

My Bosch's only have about 800 miles on them so If I have any problems in the future I will be sure to post it.

black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I've put Bosch's in at about 70ish, on 82ish now never had a problem. I know before I put them in my car was running like shit, rough idle and a little hesitation at WOT. After the install and ever since my car runs fine. Maybe I'm the only one. What is it about Bosch that hurts GM cars?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I don't use them because I heard that my brother's wife's cousin's grandfather's best friend's grandson's next door neighbor knew a guy that worked with him said that they were no good.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I put a set of +4's in my 88 GTA at 100k and when I got rid of the car at 110k it still ran great

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i had the +2 on my thirdgen for a while. and i had no problems.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    I don't use them because I heard that my brother's wife's cousin's grandfather's best friend's grandson's next door neighbor knew a guy that worked with him said that they were no good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information