03 Terminator

Best Tuner/Programmer

Simple question: which would yall recommened as the best tuner/programmer out there? i have the Hypertech on the car now but i think i remember reading somewhere that the Diablo was the best. Just checking to see if its a widely followed belief. If so, anyone want to buy a Hypertech?

RyAn

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Handheld tunes are like internet sex...for the real deal get a dyno tune....

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    for the real deal get a dyno tune....
    never met a guy that races his car on a dyno so I can't agree with you there. You can finish up a tune on a dyno to figure out where your timing should be but a full tune only done on the dyno can have bad results.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

that list is incomplete. doesn't have the vinci/crane handheld on it. use it on both of my cars. here's a write up i did about the tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    never met a guy that races his car on a dyno so I can't agree with you there. You can finish up a tune on a dyno to figure out where your timing should be but a full tune only done on the dyno can have bad results.
    WTF are you babbling about? Nobody said shit about racing there buckwheat....then you go on and establish what I just said..."then go on and finish the tune on a dyno....."
    And to then say...."a full dyno tune can have bad results"... is just insane.....you obviously are clueless.....
    1. Dyno Tune you car.
    2. Go race/drive the shit out of it.
    3. Get it back up on the dyno and tweak to your hearts content with real world results.....
    I am saying...a dyno provides you many more parameters and closer to real world (see Mustang Dyno) parameters to fine tune your car...or just knock yourself out drag racing with your handheld in your lap which is what I assume your doing.....sheesh...

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

WTF are you babbling about? Nobody said shit about racing there buckwheat....then you go on and establish what I just said..."then go on and finish the tune on a dyno....."
    And to then say...."a full dyno tune can have bad results"... is just insane.....you obviously are clueless.....
    1. Dyno Tune you car.
    2. Go race/drive the shit out of it.
    3. Get it back up on the dyno and tweak to your hearts content with real world results.....
    I am saying...a dyno provides you many more parameters and closer to real world (see Mustang Dyno) parameters to fine tune your car...or just knock yourself out drag racing with your handheld in your lap which is what I assume your doing.....sheesh...
    Last edited by foff667; 02-10-2006 at 06:11 AM.
    Support for HPTuners

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

my personal "dyno tune" experience http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197791

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    that list is incomplete. doesn't have the vinci/crane handheld on it. use it on both of my cars. here's a write up i did about the tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
    I didnt do the writeup...maybe pm Ed & he'll add it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    So what?
    I guess we are missing the boat here.....the thread originator ask about tuning tools....so folks respond about tuning tools...me I respond that a dyno is a better tool to tune a car than a handheld.....you come blowing in and start talking about dyno racing. Huh? Nobody said shit about dyno queens or racing....everybody else is talking about dyno tools....now you post this link to your Gone With the Wind testimonial with a couple of tuners....once again....your post you reference is about a tuner...not a tuning tool....a dumbass tuner can fuck up a car on a dyno or with a handheld....once again so fucking what...
    If you get a fucked up haircut are you going to tell everybody not to go to a barber ever again?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok, well lets clear up something about 'dyno' tuning. 'dyno' tuning is defined as tuning the vehicle on a dyno. what you use to make the parameter changes doesn't matter per say. i 'dyno' tuned both my cars with the vinci tuner. does that mean i didn't 'dyno' tune the car? or did i 'fake' tune it because i used a handheld instead of something like hptuners or ls1edit or efilive? so, a handheld tuner is a tuning tool as you put it sarge. it is a tool you use to make changes to the PCM.

now, what i would think sarge is getting at is using a full on editing program like hptuners, ls1edit, efilive, etc... is more beneficial in the sense that you can adjust everything in very specific ways. unlike most handhelds that offer minimum tuning ability. and doing this on a dyno can be a 'safer' way of doing it. then again, you can put a wideband sensor in your car and monitor it that way.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes...thank you...that is all I am saying.....hell I have seen a guy with a AF gauge tuning...better than just a handheld all alone....
    Probably got a little ticked and shouldn't have so I apologize to ol foff667 for getting my hair up....but I hate to see folks go out and spend $400 bucks for a handheld and never touch fuel trims or AF....and I will say point blank....no two cars are alike....it benefits folks to get up on the dyno and tune their specific car to their specific needs/wants......that's all....thanks for moderating there man...you done a good job

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Yes...thank you...that is all I am saying.....hell I have seen a guy with a AF gauge tuning...better than just a handheld all alone....
    Probably got a little ticked and shouldn't have so I apologize to ol foff667 for getting my hair up....but I hate to see folks go out and spend $400 bucks for a handheld and never touch fuel trims or AF....and I will say point blank....no two cars are alike....it benefits folks to get up on the dyno and tune their specific car to their specific needs/wants......that's all....thanks for moderating there man...you done a good job
    and ALL I was saying is that an entire tune from start to finish shouldnt be done on a dyno. Getting a couple of peak numbers & a pretty printout arent what I recommend to anyone anymore. Theres alot more that goes into tuning then strapping it down to a dyno for 3-5 pulls. My car for instance wouldnt shift into 1st or 2nd gear when I'd go wot(a4), had all kinds of TC lockup issues as well as a part throttle hesitation that were all cured within less then an hour of having the stock tune thrown back in and me doing my own tuning. Im sorry Im not a fan of dyno tuning but those are my reasons why...if the tuner does at least a partial street tune thats great but they are few & far between because of liability issues. Sorry to get you pissed off but when you say dyno tune those are the first thoughts that come into my head.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hear ya...I had a DUMBASS tuner once myself...fucked my car all up....clueless what she was doing.....HP Tuners is the absolute best software out there......OK nuff for me....we probably screwed this guy( thread orginator) all up now

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you get a handheld, make sure you can make air and fuel adjustments with it. predator, superchips, and the vinci/crane can do that. hypertech cannot.

JungleJim
    I was hesitant to start mucking about in the programming...so...I went to MTI..they are local to me...and for the same price as a mail in they did the tune on the dyno. AND YES...each car is unique...mine is a B4C...93K hard miles on a 4A. Dyno numbers were 300 rwhp in and 307 rwhp out. But the big deal for me...is all the changes in driveablility. This is a daily ride, and I am impressed with ALL the changes that were made. Everything to go fast...and I can still get going from a stoplight in the rain...

torch red
    99 c5

i have your anwser simple as that.... RIP your computer out send it to t.t.s power systems with attn:: steve kohl.. write on paper what you want out of it and its done that easy steve kohl works miracles.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

We offer The Big G Flash tool - it is new

Thread Information