black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

adjusting fuel trims

when adjusting fuel trims with a predator for example will adjust for partial throttle and WOT at the same time or are they in two seperate areas?
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't know anything about the predator, but I assume it would have to be 2 separate areas since part throttle is closed loop and WOT is open loop.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

The fuel trims are only effected at part throotle,,, whatever fuel trims you have at part throotle, get used while in PE mode (WOT) if they are positive. Negative fuel trims do not effect PE mode, the fuel trim, if negative, is used as zero in PE mode, as to not lean the motor out and cause detonation.

Typically in tuning a car, we attempt to get the fuel trims between 0% and -5%. In that way, there is no added fuel at PE comimg from the fuel trims. For the proper PE mode AFR, the added fuel all comes from the PE fuel tables.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

So basically what you are saying is, I can not lean it out but I can keep it from getting richer?

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    So basically what you are saying is, I can not lean it out but I can keep it from getting richer?
    As far as how the part-throttle tune affects the WOT tune, that is correct. If your part-throttle ltrim numbers are negative, they go to zero when you go WOT, thus not changing the fuel level. If your ltrim numbers are positive, they will keep that positive value even when you go WOT, thus adding fuel in addition to whatever your PE tables do to WOT fuel.

As I understand it, having positive ltrims in itself is not really a bad thing, but it complicates your WOT tuning effort. With negative ltrims, you don't have to worry about them at all when tuning for WOT.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I am still a little confused, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tuning. I am a little rich at WOT (according to my AFR) and would like to at least get it into the stoich so I could pull a little more power out of the car. How does one accomplish this?

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Stoich is 14.7 and thats for part throotle and idle stuff. For WOT, you want to run around 12.8:1,, I have been running around 13.0 to 13.1:1 which is called (I think) "lean max torque". You do not want to run at stoich whan at WOT, you will for sure detonate the motor.

What is your AFR while at WOT?

If you are richer than 12.6 or 12.8,,, and you have Lterms that are positive (LTFT & STFT fuel trims will always keep you close to 14.7 while cruising), you can lean out WOT by adjusting the LTFTs to be around -5%. You can accomplish this very easily with the MAF translator, which is an old time tuning device that I used back in 2000 and 2001. If you have a full PCM tuner (like LS1Edit or HPTuners), than a small adjustment to the MAF table will fix you right up. And there are other ways to lean out WOT, but these two are most effective.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I actually do not have a wideband, just a cheap Air to fuel ratio gauge, it does not tell you the actual numbers. it has a lean section, stoich section and a rich section. at WOT i am on the 2nd of 6 bars into the rich section (i think there is six bars in each section. During partial throttle it is always right in the middle of the stoich section.......Also I was asking how I would go about leaning out my WOT with a handheld. i.e. Predator or VHP handheld. I know they say you can adjust your fuel but not sure how in depth they go. I didnt know if they would let you only adjust for partial throttle or just WOT or what. I plan on getting a dyno tune after the install of a cam and stall possibly even throw in some heads but was hoping to get a handheld to get a little more out of the mods I currently have because I am not sure how long it will be before I get cam and stall.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

If you're going by your cheap AFR gauge only, you may already be real close to where you want to be. Like Doc99SS said, WOT AFR should be around 12.8 give or take, which is richer than the Stoich number. That may show up on your gauge where you said it was reading.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Damn,....Wish I would of knew about the wideband before I got the AFR. If I did I would know where I am right about now.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Wheeler, so how far from Monroe Michigan are you? I have a wide band O2 meter and LS1Edit.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Not sure I am located in Terre Haute, IN. I am willing to bet it is pretty far.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Monroe Michigan is 20 miles north of Toledo, laying on I75. You are always welcome to come over, but its a major trip for you. Right now I am in the midths of replacing my blownup LS1 engine with an undecided stroker short block.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

If it wasnt so far I would for sure. I appreciate the offer.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Not a problem, its about 350 to 400 miles for you.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

I have a Predator and they are both separate!! Easy to tune/modify when monitoring in real time mode!

Thread Information