Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Actron ABS scan tool only $100

saw em at autozone the other day. normally $200 but for the next month or so they are on sale for half off...so i just had to have one. and yes i did actually have a use for it.

the g/f's cavalier has had an abs light on since a few months after she bought it. didn't want to spend the money to take it to a shop and didn't want to drop 200 bones on the tool...so there it sat with the abs lite pissin me off.

found out that the left front speed sensor has high or low conductivity and that it is at an excessive range...2 codes. either way it looks like we'll try replacing the speed sensor and see if that fixes it. it'd be great if it would. and either way i got myself a nice toy for a good price...and it's fully upgradeable via usb cable to the internet.

2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Is that just for OBD2's?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

saweet. Thanks for looking out. I've been needing one and waiting until the price came down on them. It's just one of those tools I won't use very much so it's hard to justify the 200 bones. I can justify 100 though.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Definitely a good tool to have.

Personally I think it should have just been integrated with OBDII so ABS (C codes) could be read by a regular scanner, but what can you do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't know for sure but my guess is the abs was kept seperate for safety reasons. I think they also wanted to seperate them so your average joe schmo can't pull and erase codes.
    I'm going to move this to the tool section since this is actually a tool thread and not a tuning thread. Good info to pass along though.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If I wasnt dead broke, I would surely pick this up. I dont need it, but I lwould like to have it in my toolbox for when I do or others do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If I wasnt dead broke, I would surely pick this up. I dont need it, but I lwould like to have it in my toolbox for when I do or others do.
    wait and if I buy one you can borrow it anytime you need it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    wait and if I buy one you can borrow it anytime you need it.
    Awesome, Thanks

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

happy to pass along the info. super easy to use too...looked at the instructions manual quick and was like...well shit.

just plug it in, input year, make, model, and engine of the vehicle and it brings up the codes with a small description of the code on the screen.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have the model number handy? Can you clear the codes with it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

While we are on this topic -- I have heard that to perform a brake bleed on our cars you may need a scan tool. I'm not sure why, but as I am swapping rears this month and will be disconnecting my brake lines, I should probably find out what the scoop is. If so, will the Actron Scanner do whatever it is that needs done?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it's model #CP9449. and no it doesn't allow you to delete the codes i would assume because abs is considered a more important system than pcm emissions and the like.

i've never heard that a scan tool was needed to bleed brakes. now...you might have to bleed the abs unit before you bleed the brakes...but that doesn't require a scan tool.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    it's model #CP9449. and no it doesn't allow you to delete the codes i would assume because abs is considered a more important system than pcm emissions and the like.

i've never heard that a scan tool was needed to bleed brakes. now...you might have to bleed the abs unit before you bleed the brakes...but that doesn't require a scan tool.
    well crap.... I wanted it specifically to clear codes with. Don't suppose you'd rent me yours for a week when you're done with it would you?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

this is the exact issue I'm running into on my truck.....you actually need a tech 2 type tool that you can manual cycle the valves to get the air out of them. I was hoping to find an abs tool that would clear the code because when the light is on the abs is disabled. If you can get the code to clear and enable the abs then lock the brakes the valves will cycle. I'm 99.9% sure that my issue is air in the block but I just wanted to make sure. I replaced the brake lines on the truck and got air in the block that way. I wanted to make sure I didn't mess up that pressure sensor though or have some other issue and am looking at the wrong thing.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Bummer

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

i designed some of there packaging!!!!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02convertibleT/A View Post
    i designed some of there packaging!!!!
    so YOU'RE to blame for my cut up finger! and why the hell did you guys glue the damned manual to the back of the box?! hahaha.

for the money i certainly can't complain about not being able to clear codes or do this or that with it. a tech 2...yeah...now you're talkin some coin. and i know that i'm not about to drop that kind of cash for something that i would use so little.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    While we are on this topic -- I have heard that to perform a brake bleed on our cars you may need a scan tool. I'm not sure why, but as I am swapping rears this month and will be disconnecting my brake lines, I should probably find out what the scoop is. If so, will the Actron Scanner do whatever it is that needs done?
    You only need the tech 2 if you run the abs module dry. Just cap off the rear line and you should be fine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

fwiw I swapped rears and didn't do anything and didn't have to mess with the abs. Just bled the brakes normally after I was done. My truck on the other hand is a different story.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    You only need the tech 2 if you run the abs module dry. Just cap off the rear line and you should be fine.

That is my plan in order to minimize the amount of air that gets in the line. I just don't want to end up without brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    fwiw I swapped rears and didn't do anything and didn't have to mess with the abs. Just bled the brakes normally after I was done. My truck on the other hand is a different story.

Just in case I do have a problem, would there be a way to manually activate the pistons with a jumper wire or anything? I assume feedback from the wheel speed sensor indicating that the wheel is locked would trigger the ABS into operation.

Thread Information