Thread: Abuse mode

Pewter
    2000 chevrolet camaro SS

Abuse mode

I was talking to chevy mechanic the other day and he mentioned something about an abuse mode that can be turned off which will unleash some extra horsepower. Have any of you ever heard of this. I have never heard of it and neather has my mechanic so help me out.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Maybe, Torque Management. Just a guess.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    Maybe, Torque Management. Just a guess.
    +1...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Really i wanna know more?? and on what car??

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Maybe he's referring to "limp mode" that'll get you home if something goes wrong. Not what you're thinking I know, but I do know our cars have that built in. My car triggered it once on my old LS1 before it died. It basically shut down a number of cylinders and such and ran terrible, but DID get me home. There was an air bubble that got trapped in the system that "fooled" the computer into thinking the car was overheating, which it wasn't at all, but it tripped the "failsafe", or "limp mode" in the computor until I got it home. I was having a water leak problem at the time, and I let it get a little too low before I added water, hence the air bubble. This had nothing to do with the ultimate death of the LS1, that was caused by a broken rod. Too bad there wasn't a "mode" to save that! lol

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

another vote for tq mana.

Pewter
    2000 chevrolet camaro SS

Ok thanks for the help. The guy I talked to was probably full of shit. I wasn't gonna have him work on my car anyway.

There's a description of what torque management does from the factory service manual in this thread: www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65446 Doesn't unleash any more HP during "abusive" maneuvers, but does affect timing and shuts down some injectors.....

In HPtuner there is such a thing called Abuse Mode,,,,it's in the transmissions section under the torque management.

It pulls timing on upshifts to save the rearend and transmission,,,a fail safe if you will that GM has in the tune.

There are also other torque management tables in the engine section as well that reduce timing and torque production etc......as well as an "abuse mode" table that enables it at a certain RPM.

In other words, you can find torque management in several areas of the tune.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'd say they're talking about torque management, too.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ther are two sections dealing with ABUSE. engine and transmission. this is for auto only.

engine - has rpm and mph activation points to enable transmission abuse mode.

trans- again rpm and mph activated.

what this does is retard timing to reduce power, so as not to damage the transmission in between shifts as firedbirdjones said. basically torque management.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    ther are two sections dealing with ABUSE. engine and transmission. this is for auto only.

engine - has rpm and mph activation points to enable transmission abuse mode.

trans- again rpm and mph activated.

what this does is retard timing to reduce power, so as not to damage the transmission in between shifts as firedbirdjones said. basically torque management.

acts the same but are seperate processes.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

+1 to only being relevant to those with A4s... us M6 folks don't get burdened with TQ MGMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    +1 to only being relevant to those with A4s... us M6 folks don't get burdened with TQ MGMT.
    You have other things to deal with that soften the blow,,,like restrictions in the clutch hydraulic system.

I do believe though, someone on here a while back was looking at a 6 speed tune on his car or maybe someone elses and did find some sort of timing reduction in the engine management section. I can't comment for sure on that one because I haven't seen a 6 speed tune.............................................. but one timing reducing feature I believe all the LS1's have to soften things up a bit is Burst Knock Retard....

This table is for when you wack the throttle,,,,any throttle movement deemed accessive according to cyl/air Delta table a timing retard table is activated and it pulls as much as 8 degrees up to 2400 rpms, 6 degrees at 2600 rpms, 5 degrees at 3200 rpms, 4 degrees at 3600 rpms, 3 degrees at 4000 rpms and then 2 degrees at any rpm above that.
    This from what I am told from other HPtuner users is for the computer to pull timing with agressive throttle transitions in anticipation for knock retard,,,even if you don't get any knock.

So you 6 speed guys,,,everytime you bang gears or get aggressively on and off the throttle,,,there is timing being pulled.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorSS View Post
    Ok thanks for the help. The guy I talked to was probably full of shit. I wasn't gonna have him work on my car anyway.
    Was probably talking about these tables or along these lines

Thread Information