Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Question 98 power programmer

This question has probably been asked 100 times but I couldn't find anything in the search bar. So here goes, what type of power programmer would you recommend for a 98 lightly modded LS1? I know a lot of people will say "screw the programmer and get a real dyno tune" but I'd really rather stay away from the dyno's. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Black
    1998 B4C LS1/A4

I have a hypertech max energy, it works pretty well. kinda pricey, but no more so than others i guess. The only thing I don't really like about it is the transmission shift point feature adjusts by MPH not RPM.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Z28_ls1 View Post
    This question has probably been asked 100 times but I couldn't find anything in the search bar. So here goes, what type of power programmer would you recommend for a 98 lightly modded LS1? I know a lot of people will say "screw the programmer and get a real dyno tune" but I'd really rather stay away from the dyno's. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
    Just wondering why do you want to stay away from a Dyno tune?
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Add a few $$$ to the cost of a programmer and you can get a dynotune. IMHO, programmers are worthless for a proper tune. They are handy for altered tire sizes, different gear ratios and adjusting the fans but not much else.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i run a hypertech hpp3 on my '98 z. it runs a little smoother on their program than stock, no big gains though. mods are just a lid and catback. firmed up the shifts noticeably, perfect for me since i don't plan on further engine mods and don't wanna get a shift kit..

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    Just wondering why do you want to stay away from a Dyno tune?
    I've heard that old cars can blow up on them. Not sure if its true but i dont wanna take that chance.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I've heard that old cars can blow up on them. Not sure if its true but i dont wanna take that chance.
    I've had mine dyno tuned twice and no problems. Anytime you rev the engine you run the chance of it breaking, but with the modern fuel injection and going to a shop that tunes cars all the time the odds are very low for anything to happen. It also depends how extreme your engine is, a H/C car has less chance of issues then one on boost and N02. Simply hand held programmers are good for bone stock cars, but to get the best tune on a moded car you really need to have it dyno tuned.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

????????

I have a 98 Z28 as a DD and it has 175,xxx miles on it. AFAIK, it's the original engine and it's been to the redline a few times since I've had it. Still runs like a new car. I've not put it on the dyno cuz it's stock.

My 2002 is modded and has been on a dyno as well as being dyno tuned and I have no problems with it either.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

This is what I mean.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    I've had mine dyno tuned twice and no problems. Anytime you rev the engine you run the chance of it breaking, but with the modern fuel injection and going to a shop that tunes cars all the time the odds are very low for anything to happen. It also depends how extreme your engine is, a H/C car has less chance of issues then one on boost and N02. Simply hand held programmers are good for bone stock cars, but to get the best tune on a moded car you really need to have it dyno tuned.
    that acually sums it up. also, it seems that each car reacts differently to the standard tunes of a hand held programmers. the quality of the stock tune, the fuel you run are factors in this. just don't expect miracles.
    btw, i did a lot of high rev autobahn runs and have been on a dyno, no issues with the engine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if this is the reason then go get a dyno tune. A hpp3 is more risk than a dyno tune. You will most probably be lean with the hpp3 and never know it. At least on the dyno they'll monitor your afr and keep you safe. The percentage of people that have problems on a dyno is very very small when you factor in how many people get tuned on a dyno.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

If you decide to get a programmer go for Hypertech. I have only heard of good things with them. Be carefull though when you go to find one since your car is a 98. Alot of the programmers for the Camaro's are for 99+. It has something to do with the computer in the 98 year.

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Buy EFI Live and you will be very happy. A hypertech is what 400 bucks? I gave 150 more for my EFI Live and can tune anything in that pcm and this way you will know what is changed and how much it's changed.

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    If you decide to get a programmer go for Hypertech. I have only heard of good things with them. Be carefull though when you go to find one since your car is a 98. Alot of the programmers for the Camaro's are for 99+. It has something to do with the computer in the 98 year.
    My HPP 3 scrambled the pcm twice in my 98 z28. After the last time some of my friends told me to sell it on ebay but I would never want to put a curse like that on anybody. It found a new home in the trash.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
    My HPP 3 scrambled the pcm twice in my 98 z28. After the last time some of my friends told me to sell it on ebay but I would never want to put a curse like that on anybody. It found a new home in the trash.
    hmmm, i got a hpp3 and never had any problems.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    hmmm, i got a hpp3 and never had any problems.
    No problems here either.

Did your battery lose too much voltage during the programming process?? Because that would definitely cause it to have issues.

I have a Hypertech Power Programmer 3 for a '98 LS1 for sale if anyone's interested, just PM me.

Thread Information