Red
    1998 Trans Am

Yet another pinion question???

Ok so im gettin ready to change the pinion seal this weekend. I just need to know where is a good place to get the seal? Just AZ or is there A better seal that i should look for?

Also I have read that a girdle stopes the seal from future leaking is that true? I dont want to blow $150 if i dont have to, but i dont want to change the seal every week. Thanx in advance

maroonZ

Unhappy

I going to be going to GM to get mine replaced shortly.

I think the dealership work comes with some sort of warranty.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ls14pwr
    Ok so im gettin ready to change the pinion seal this weekend. I just need to know where is a good place to get the seal? Just AZ or is there A better seal that i should look for?

Also I have read that a girdle stopes the seal from future leaking is that true? I dont want to blow $150 if i dont have to, but i dont want to change the seal every week. Thanx in advance
    No the girdle goes on the rear, so it has nothing to do with keeping the front seal from leaking, or even the rear for that matter. Whether the rear cover leaks or not is dependent on how you put it on (using a new gasket, or correct RTV and tightening bolts correctly). The girdle is a good thing to have though because it adds a bit more support to the main caps.

The pinion seal is on the front, and sometimes they even leak after you replace them. When you have it off you need to clean up the housing as best as you can with a bit of emory cloth, so there are no rough edges. Also wipe the emory cloth around the yoke to take care of any burrs that might rip the rubber part of the seal.

An AZ seal is fine, they are really all the same thing when it comes to pinion seals. If you are not familiar with pinion depth, crush sleeves and otherwise setting up a rear end, then a pinion seal is something best left to a shop.

And yeah if you get it done with a dealership they usually have some kind of warranty on the labor, like a few months/few thousand miles. If it leaks take it back and they fix it again for free.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Thanx a ton for all the help. Ive heard that some of the people that take it to the dealership have had to replace rearends soon after cause the dealership messed up.

Im very mechanicaly inclined and do all my own work, but I was very worried bout the pinion seal due to the crush sleeve.

My friends dad is the guru of Grand Nationals and he had a guy that works in an ls1 shop hear in Arizona. So he basically said stop being a puss and do the work yourself and that he would help me.

So my next question is He is very very experinced and im 99 percent positive that he has done this before, but his plan of attack is to mark where the nut is then just tighten it back till the marks meet again. Is right????? Ive read in another thread that this dosent work.

99 Firebird Formula

You could do that...it would also really help to have a rotating torque measuring tool as well. When you put the nut back on there, if you are reusing your old bearings & crush sleeve, it needs to be tightened to 8-12 inch/lbs.

Thread Information