whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

xtra wide wheel positioning.

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar the feasibility and performance factor of putting an extra wide rear end on my 98 T/A. I love the look of the wide tires but 1-2" spacers simply are not enough, I'm trying to find out if there;s anyway (thats safe) to put in a rear end that my tires come out 6 or more inches from the rear wheel wells (maybe rear end that is about 12" wider than standard length), this would also allow for much wider tires on the rear. I may even consider this for the front also, I'm sure it would be amazing for hugging corners if done properly. I'd guess the rear would be less work than the front but any input on widening front axle would also be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bossho; 09-22-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Are you serious? I think that would look a little strange?

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

OMG!!!!! (mental picture)............Please,....please don't do that to an F-body!!!!!! LOL!!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

weird..what you are asking for is unique..i dont think it can easily done or safely

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here was familiar the feasibility and performance factor of putting an extra wide rear end on my 98 T/A. I love the look of the wide tires but 1-2" spacers simply are not enough, I'm trying to find out if there;s anyway (thats safe) to put in a rear end that my tires come out 6 or more inches from the rear wheel wells (maybe rear end that is about 12" wider than standard length), this would also allow for much wider tires on the rear. I may even consider this for the front also, I'm sure it would be amazing for hugging corners if done properly. I'd guess the rear would be less work than the front but any input on widening front axle would also be greatly appreciated.
    How are you gonna get around the tires rubbing the fenders?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

I'm trying to see if I can get 335's or wider

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    How are you gonna get around the tires rubbing the fenders?
    I've been considering going to a 21" rear rim for my 98 T/A

I was thinking the the new Pirrlei Pzero nero "supercar specific" tire - the 375/20/21 would look amazing.

Whilst a 375 on the back sounds great I am a little worried about the overall diameter and rolling radius.

According to my calcs the gearing will drop - which I know might actually be a good thing.....but I am more worried about the ride height and size of the wheel in the wheel-well/arch.

The stock tire is 28.9" tall - the "new" Pirelli is 26.9" tall - so I lose 2" off the overall diameter and 1" of ride height! My car has coil overs fitted so I guess I can adjsut it to suit - but I don't want it looking like there is a foot and a half of fresh air between the tire and the arch - and what about that lowered ride height (car is already 1.5" lower than stock at the back)

So whats the thinking on this - is it within acceptable limits?
    Last edited by bossho; 09-23-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Guys he is talking about bringing the face of the rim out 6 inches so the damn thing lines up with the top of the rear fender or out further. Thats not odd. What he does not understand is that it can be done with the correct rimm offset and spacer.

You don't need a wider rear. all you need is the right wheel and maybe a spacer. guys put 12 inches of ruber out back with out changing the housing length. If you go to a huge wide tire you will need to flare the fenders because you will have no way for the suspention to travel, and you DO NOT want a huge wide tire up front. It will drive like shit.

Why in the hell would you want a 21inch rim out back you would break the axle or destroy the rear.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

-1 cool points

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    -1 cool points
    really lol

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

???

or

???

lolz

hugger orange

I agree with Jaycenk, the best/only way to do this is with a deep dish wheel.
    hell I have a widebody goat andtest fitted a set of 15x10 old school deep dish Cragers on it last weekend and even with the widebody they still stuck out passed the body!

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Guys he is talking about bringing the face of the rim out 6 inches so the damn thing lines up with the top of the rear fender or out further. Thats not odd. What he does not understand is that it can be done with the correct rimm offset and spacer.

You don't need a wider rear. all you need is the right wheel and maybe a spacer. guys put 12 inches of ruber out back with out changing the housing length. If you go to a huge wide tire you will need to flare the fenders because you will have no way for the suspention to travel, and you DO NOT want a huge wide tire up front. It will drive like shit.

Why in the hell would you want a 21inch rim out back you would break the axle or destroy the rear.

your right - i did a little bit more homework and anythogn over 18 is tooooo much metal and not enough rubber so im sticking with 16's or 17's out back just wider - thanks for the input on the deepdish, offest & suspension travel considerations

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    your right - i did a little bit more homework and anythogn over 18 is tooooo much metal and not enough rubber so im sticking with 16's or 17's out back just wider - thanks for the input on the deepdish, offest & suspension travel considerations
    also something to think about.
    if your wheel/tire stick out passef the body, you will want a minimum of an inch of suspension travl to mantain a decent ride quality. you would want to take the springs out and fab a set of bump stops that will keep the quarter just off the tire, then put your springs back in.....that you can be sure to have tire/ body clearance at all times

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

17x11's are about the widest you want on the street. They line up great on the fenders and fill out everything rather nicely. Throw some 315/35/17's and your set. Any wider and your traction gain doesn't really give any advantage because of the weight you run into. 17x11's with 315/35/17's are pretty damn heavy as it is.

Thread Information